1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tribune Publishing buys San Diego paper

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, May 7, 2015.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I see dueling editorials over custody of the Chargers.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Layoffs coming (and not just the press crew in SD when LA starts printing the paper).

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I really do not understand the Tribune companies thinking. It is about 120 miles from the Times building in Los Angeles (where I think the Times prints) to San Diego. San Diego is also a very distinct market from the Los Angeles area.

Orange County and San Diego County both have populations a tad over three million. I am sure that the Tribune company could have bought the Orange County Register a lot cheaper. And the LANG papers have been on the market as part of a larger package. I would think Tribune could have spent their capital to consolidate in the Los Angeles/Orange County market. The cost savings would have been greater greater because of the overlaps in the circulation areas of the Register and the LANG papers.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Antitrust issues if Tribune buys OCR and/or LANG. The Times has wanted the UT for about two decades. As for layoffs: Yup, they're coming.

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Not to mention OCR is a decent alternative to the LAT in that market. Looks like OCR has stabilized a bit after the turbulence of the past few years. Looking forward to seeing what Tribune does with SD.

7. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

$85 million sounds insanely low.

8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Why do you think that? The headquarters aren't included and the Boston Globe sold for $70 million less than two years ago.

9. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I should have clarified. I'm looking at it from a standpoint of what it was probably worth before newspapers went into the tank.

10. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

The Tribune bought the Southtown chain without a hitch. And for that matter the Denver Post, which owned the Boulder camera, bought Longmont without a peep. I wonder if Justice has decided local newspapers are no longer oligopolies because of new entrants into the market and will now approve anything.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Depends who buys. If Anschutz sweeps in to buy the Denver Post and the suburb papers to the north, there could be issues since he owns Colorado Springs.

Same here. If Tribune owns the Times and the U-T then wants the OCR in between, there will be red flags. Same if Tribune decides to gobble up the LANG papers, though they're now (allegedly) off the market.

12. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted