1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tribune hierarchy unveils method to madness

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Andy _ Kent, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It's drawing a helluva lot of attention.

Of course, so do train wrecks.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Romenesko always breaks long memos into parts, either for aesthetics or because that's the way his production tools are set up. Nothing unusual here.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Understood.

Still, Bertie McCormick is spinning in his grave at warp speed.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Agreed. Lots of papers, mine included, would rather collectively take a bullet in the brain before doing ad campaigns based on reporters and columnists.
    I think some of that has to do with the turnover rate, but we got some people who aren't going anywhere and they are good.
    That isn't all Abrams is right about. If you look at the other memos he has popped out, they contain nuggets that if put in place would make the papers better. You can't say that, but crap, some of the stuff he had brought up, I'm making moves to put into play at my shop.

5. sportsed

sportsed Member

Whenever I see another memo from Lee Abrams, I am reminded of this scene from Woody Allen's "Bananas" when a rebel general takes over as his Latin American country's newest dictator:

Esposito: From this day on, the official language of San Marcos will be Swedish. Silence! In addition to that, all citizens will be required to change their underwear every half-hour. Underwear will be worn on the outside so we can check. Furthermore, all children under 16 years old are now... 16 years old!

Fielding Mellish: What's the Spanish word for straitjacket?

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The underwear thing is probably a good idea!

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Oh please, we act as if Abrams is the only idea guy in this business! Why, just a few months ago the LA Times was ready to hand over editing of an entire section to a Hollywood agent. Now, that's real inspired thinking right there.

Draft saved Draft deleted