1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tribune hierarchy unveils method to madness

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Andy _ Kent, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

But even though promoting whatever talent you have left is a good idea (provided you have a marketing budget remaining) he mixes it up with a completely different issue about chain of command.

Yes, some bosses might feel uncomfortable about one of their people going over their heads about something.

I don't think the boss is saying, "Sandy, you can't talk to Lee Abrams, dammit, or he'll find out you're talented!"

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

But the boss might be saying, "dammit, Sandy, you can't talk to Abrams" and then thinking, "because if you do, I might lose my job because I spend most of day posting on internet message boards and that I'm actually not that good."

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Golly, that would be a stupid boss, indeed.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Why did Poynter spread this over three web pages? Did it want more hits?

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Maybe this was posted elsewhere today, Saturday's Tribune will experiment with entertainment and consumer reports in the front section, with news moved to section 2. Cute.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=30261

Love the guy wanting to say 'From the Newsroom' instead of 'Wire Report'....... 'Well, Mr Abrams, technically that would be a lie.' 'A lie? Why? Someone must work in a newsroom, right? Dammit, can we just have it sent from a newsroom? We'll build one! Today! We must try EVERYthing!'

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

The most drastic change, of course, will be saved for sports, which apparently is going to be converted to a tabloid format...

Wow.

7. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Forget the blue font I presume?

8. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

This was tried in the early 1980s with the Monday sports section. Lasted a couple of years, I think.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

You know what? This guy is mostly out of his mind, but his thoughts on surpressed stars, and ideas being swept aside by worried bosses, are not exactly a fabrication about this business.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Blue is for sissies.

11. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Ha! Good comeback. Of course half of that blog might have looked better in blue, then he could have claimed he was just joshing, especially with the "From The Newsroom" remark.

12. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

As much as I would love to see some middle-management (and up) types take it in the neck in this industry turmoil, I wonder if the new guys like Zell's Angels will assume that, if tight-assed, backward-thinking stiffs hired the current staffs, then they surely hired the wrong kind of front-line people anyway.

Actually, in some cases, there might be great truth in that. Not in my boss' case, of course. ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted