1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tribune hacks and slashes and gouges

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LWillhite, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Geez. How sad. Good luck, folks.

2. hwkcrz1

hwkcrz1 Member

As much as I liked Missy's sports stories, I think this was my favorite of hers.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/chi-alzheimers-parents,0,1212268.story

3. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Sadly quoting the recent web feature: Hey, Missy! You're fired!
    A great takeout writer out the door. The last prep guy (Sakamoto) gone. Mullin and Bannon, football experts, gone. Plus top photogs and newsies.
    Another rotten day at the Tribune. If I had a subscription, I'd cancel it. The least I can do is not look at their website, I guess.

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Yep. That was a great one.

Can't wait for the new media equivalent of that the Tribune is now better able to produce. Maybe it'll be a video, or a podcast!

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Another newspaper whose owner wants it to die. And it will. Why bother to read it. Four good sportswriters gone for an old rich fool's ego.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I become more angry with every passing day when I look at this board. The way execs can casually toss away people like they're taking out this week's trash is absolutely sickening.

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

And an oldy but goodie from the Zell profile in the New Yorker.

8. swenk

swenk Member

With no disrespect to any of the remaining Tribune sports staff, if you add to this list the previous departures of Sam Smith, Don Pierson, Mike Downey, Ed Sherman, and others I'm apologetically forgetting, that's a devastating loss of experience and talent.

9. hwkcrz1

hwkcrz1 Member

I simply don't get why you would let go Sakamoto. If you're trying to promote local news, who does more local stuff than the No. 1 prep guy, who by the way, is known throughout Chicagoland by prep athletes, their parents, etc.

10. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

And then there's this juicy piece of news out of Chicago:

http://www.poynter.org/forum/view_post.asp?id=13911

Key graf: Another motion seeks approval to make incentive payments of approximately $13 million to approximately 700 individuals across the
    company for their work in 2008. This is consistent with the company's
    long-standing practice of recognizing managers, directors and others for
    their work during the preceding year. These incentive payments are also
    an important component of the compensation earned annually by these
    individuals in the normal course of business.

The fact that they are seeking approval to reinstate severance payments for those who lost their jobs prior to the bankruptcy filing is heartening, but the above highlighted passage angers me.

11. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Do the people fired today get severance?

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The only answer is that it's cheaper to cover preps with stringers. As long as it gets covered they aren't real concerned with the quality.

Draft saved Draft deleted