1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tribune hacks and slashes and gouges

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LWillhite, Apr 22, 2009.

1. LWillhite

LWillhite Member

"The Midwest's largest reporting team" cut its roster by a significant amount today.

http://blogs.chicagoreader.com/news-bites/2009/04/22/53-out-tribune-victims-changing-priorities/

In a related note, I'm changing my longstanding priority and canceling my subscription. Maybe I'll catch the Tribune out in "the digital space" at their "new digital channels."

LW

2. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Included in the cuts: three staffers for the magazine (is anyone left there?) and four photographers, including two who specialize in sports.

3. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

As a former Tribune reader, a lot of familiar names on that list.

4. Oh, just wait.

5. JBHawkEye

That doesn't sound good.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Wow, 9 reporters, four photogs, 6 editors.

7. A few more names added to the list, according to Crain's. They include at least three from sports. I heard rumors of another name being floated, but I'm not posting it without confirmation. Among the cuts Crain's reported is Bob Sakamoto, leaving the Trib staff with zero full-time prep sports reporters.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=33794

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I've heard at least one more big name from sports that's not on any of the links so far, and as someone who grew up in downstate Illinois worshipping the Trib, it's definitely one I recognized.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

According to the updated Chicago Reader link at the top of this thread, sports cuts include Missy Isaacson, John Mullin, Bob Sakamoto, and Terry Bannon.

Another terrible day. I know nothing should surprise us anymore, but that collection of names--particularly Missy's--just stuns me. :(

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Okay, Isaacson was the one I had heard but hadn't seen in the links. That's definitely someone I grew up reading :(

11. Yep, Isaacson was the one I'd heard, too. Another crappy day in this industry.

12. JBHawkEye

I found out about Isaacson and Sakamoto from a friend of mine who survived the cuts.

Shocking news.

Draft saved Draft deleted