1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

    Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tribune free-lancers: Gotten your 1099?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Baltimoreguy, Feb 18, 2009.

  1. Baltimoreguy

    Baltimoreguy Member

    I'm trying to finish my taxes and have gotten all my 1099s except from Tribune. Has anyone else gotten/not gotten theirs?

    I keep good enough records to know how much they paid me ($800, which puts them over the limit for being required to send a 1099) but I don't want to file my taxes and then have to do an amended return to show that I received another 1099.

    And of course there's always that little devil on my shoulder whispering in my ear that if I didn't get a 1099, did I really earn that reportable income?
  2. Joe Williams

    Joe Williams Well-Known Member

    Why would you need to file an amended return, as long as you report the correct amount of income? I don't believe we have to mail in copies of every 1099. We just have to report the proper amount of income.

    Now, if you're thinking that maybe you could conveniently forget about the money that came from Tribune... ;)
  3. Baltimoreguy

    Baltimoreguy Member

    I'm fairly new to free-lancing -- thought maybe all income had to match up with a 1099. If not, I'll go ahead and file. Thanks
  4. 21

    21 Well-Known Member

    Joe is correct, you don't need the 1099s, you just have to file the correct amount of income.

    The 1099s are necessary for the employer, not the employee.
  5. WoodyWommack

    WoodyWommack Member

    I got mine already. I just haven't gotten the $3,000 they owe me from my work before the bankruptcy filing.
  6. Rudy Petross

    Rudy Petross Member

    I have gotten my 1099 and almost all of the 5 grand they owed me pre-bankruptcy filing. The trick is to call the Accounts Payable help desk at 312-595-0783. I was totally expecting a war with them, but they were so nice and helpful. I just told them my situation and they really went out of their way to help me. If you are nice to them they should do the same for you.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Share This Page