1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tribune Co. 'Chief Innovation Officer' Delivers More Laugh Lines

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, May 25, 2008.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

What a complete idiot.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

How do you know what Columbo was wearing under that rumpled overcoat?

3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

This shit would be hilarious if it wasn't so goddamn sad.

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

We got a new VP, a sales guy from another, non-editorial division. First project, he gets us together to revamp the website. Someone asks him how he wants it to look in the browser.

"What's a browser?" he asks.

Later, in a multimedia meeting, we're discussing how best to support regular video updates with our limited staff.

"We'll get an intern to work for free, send him downtown to shoot something, and throw it up on the web. Then, we'll monetize it."

Hard as you wish, you can't make this stuff up.

5. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing goldmouth. This free stuff bothers me. It is just wrong. And I know many of us are hypocrits, part of the problem in working more than 40 hours for free as well. This business needs to be blown up and started over.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And the VP thinks it's perfectly acceptable....wow

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Just wait till we get to the point where one publisher is talking to another publisher over cocktails at the local country club:

Pub. #1: ``Wait. You PAY your writers?''

Pub. #2: ``Well, yeah.''

Pub. #1: "You PAY your writers HOW MUCH? Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!''

Pub. #2 (thought balloon): Gotta get me more of them citizen journalists.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I'm watching the Reds on WGN tonight, and in the middle of the 10th they run some fluff filler house spot called Sky Dives, basically pimping some bar in Cincinnati. And who else is narrating but the hero of our thread?

http://www.wgnamerica.com/pages/sky_dives

Good thing Tribune didn't skimp on hiring this guy. Otherwise they might be in trouble.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Man... I was hoping that this thread being dredged up meant he had contracted something virulent and painful (to himself, not everyone else).

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Hey, the guy can't be blamed for taking a grotesque amount of money to serve as Sam's cabana boy . . . though he was (and remains) one of the most mock-able folks in the business, as things currently stand . . .

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I saw that too over the bar of the steakhouse I was eating dinner at.

Sound was off, but he was certainly recognizable.

12. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

On again, repeatedly, during Cubs-Reds xtra-inning affair.

What a genius! What a brainstorm! Now all I have to do is start typing in all caps and misspell a few words, and I'd have a Lee Abrams memo ready to post!

Draft saved Draft deleted