1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trib Top 50 Magazines: ESPN #5, SI left out

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Lugnuts, Jun 15, 2006.

1. 5. ESPN the magazine. It owns a niche that no one knew existed: the sports fan who doesn't care about the box scores but is fascinated by the people playing the games. Good, witty writing combined with clever editing lets this magazine deliver the goods every time out.

Oh, I see ... I guess the person compiling this list just never heard of Sports Illustrated. Makes sense now ... as long as you also attribute a crack addiction to said person.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Go Lansing! ;D

3. Jones

Jones Active Member

We didn't model ourself after GQ. We just raided most of its staff.

More important, as my boss said this morning, "We finally beat Cook's Illustrated!"

P.S. Dwell is awesome.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Am I smart because I read The Economist, or do I read The Economist because I am smart? [/theonion]

Either someone is clueless as far as compiling this list, or someone is calling out SI on its myriad errors and having lost a bunch off its fastball.

5. Holy Shit. No Rolling Stone, No Outside? I know Rolling Stone has kind of drifted away from what it used to be, but Outside has some of the best writing anywhere. And Wisconsin Trails? Crapfest, big-time crapfest.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Well, Wisconsin Trails....it is the Chicago Tribune. Could be a subtle play for more circulation to the north. And Rolling Stones....see SI fastball reference above.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Lists like this always leave a couple quality things off, and always include a couple of obscure things to provoke discussion.
    Mission accomplished.

8. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I read an insane number of magazines per month and I find this list ridiculous.

-I knit and think Vogue Knitting isn't that great.
    -Even though I'm a woman, I've been a GQ subscriber for more than 10 years.  It has really gone downhill the last few years and doesn't belong on this list.  Esquire is MUCH better (and I'm not just saying that because Jones is one of my favorite posters).
    -I admit that I like Lucky, but one of the 50 best magazines?  I'm not so sure about that.
    -I like the content of Blender, but I soured on it after being embarrassed to be seen reading it when they had a risque photo of Christina Aguilera on the cover one month, followed by a similar one of Mariah Carey shortly after.  Mojo and Uncut are light years ahead of it, though.  
    -One of the best travel magazines out there, Budget Travel, is missing from the list.  I've gotten more useful travel info from it than any other travel magazine I read.
    -Great call on Outside. I need to read that more often.

9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Dyno - Me, too... I read a ton of magazines. I love that you knit!

If they were being real about it, they'd put US in there. The Fashion Police section is well worth the price of the magazine.

10. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

no toy fare?

for shame, for shame

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Good call on US. Seriously. It can't be easy to put a magazine like that out. It's pretty much all breaking news, isn't it?

As for knitting, I highly recommend it. It's a great stress reliever.

12. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Apparently they like the pretty pictures in ESPN, maybe they haven't read the pop culture grid in SIPlayers?

Esquire is much better than GQ nowadays and about five pounds lighter. I can't relate to much of GQ as I don't spend $6,000 on a breezy summer outfit or wax on about my favorite wine bistros in the Mediterranean. And I agree about the Economist, which I always, randomly, read at the gym because someone leaves it there.

And while I know Rolling Stone has cut some of its longer pieces for more concise mag appeal, this last issue was spot-on great. Duke Sex story, RFK Jr's screed on Ohio elections and solid Chilli Peppers piece.

What I want to know is how they missed Black Tail? They're doing great stuff with...black tail.

Draft saved Draft deleted