1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trib to Print Sun-Times

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Jul 19, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I suppose it makes sense for both sides.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

More like "With this agreement, the Sun-Times has effectively outsourced its print manufacturing and distribution."

It's still in the business. The Seattle Post-Intelligencer is no longer in the print manufacturing and distribution business.

3. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

It's better than when the Sun-Times planned to outsource its copy editing to India.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I've never understood how you save money by having someone else print your newspaper. They are not printing it for you because they want to help you, they are doing it to make a profit from you. Also, once you close your production facility and the first contract expires, they can really fuck you on your deadlines and the price. Because what are you gonna do about it if you don't like it, get the St. Louis paper to print you?

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Tomorrow night one person will design our section. One person will read everything in the section.

But in six months the jobs will be going to Chicago, where it will be done more cheaply.

Still waiting to see the math on this.

6. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

The Sun-Times presses and building were only about 10 years old. I read somewhere the presses would be basic scrap metal because of little demand for presses.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I read this when I was back in Chi-town, and had two basic questions:

1. Will this affect Sun-Times deadlines? I'm sure the Tribune isn't going to move theirs up.

2. Was the Daily Herald an option for printing? Not sure where their facility is. I'm guessing the fact the Trib and Sun-Times already had a delivery agreement made a printing agreement inevitable.

Bottom line: more jobs lost in journalism, just not in the newsroom this time.

Draft saved Draft deleted