1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trib Article about top Chicago chef

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, Feb 16, 2013.

1. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Too many people are focusing on how much the damn dinner costs. This was an awesome story, very well told with an awesome online presentation. So often we talk about how papers don't present things in a friendly format online, and this shows papers can do it if they put the effort into it. The plate being put together on the main story page was an excellent touch.

Does anyone know if this ran in print, and if so, was it serialized? The story has to be like 200 inches. That's a lot of space to devote to a story like this. I'd love to see the print presentation.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Well, and that's why I posted it.

The web presentation alone is awesome. I'm not sure how it looked in print, or if it was spread out over several days.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

YF's right; you're paying for the entire artistic experience -- the space in which you eat, the length of presentation, the artistry of the dishes, and then how those dishes taste. And some dishes are really just reimaginings of food you'd had lots of times before. A chunk of the price goes to the ingredients (Wagyu beef instead of, say, supermarket sirloin) and to (heretofore) rarity of the techniques.

But as these techniques become more common or accessible (some of what Duffy does is more chemistry than artistry) I think you'll see the prices go down (while keeping some relevant proportion with COLA) and the dishes get a little less esoteric.

As for the story - it's pretty good. I wish it had made more time in its considerable length to actually discuss Duffy's technique and philosophy at greater length.

4. awriter

awriter Active Member

I'd recommend the Bad Apple over Kumas.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Had not heard of The Bad Apple, but I just looked it up. Montrose and Lincoln is doable. Gonna have to try it. What's the crowd like — demographically and spacially?

6. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Never been to either but have been told that by numerous Chicagoland friends.

Draft saved Draft deleted