1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Trial by Twitter': The New Yorker on Steubenville rape case

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

All would be well-advised to check out the lengthy piece on the Steubenville case this week. Essentially there were no winners here, including the venerated blogger who comes off like a hypocritical nitwit. Sober reporting that really cuts through the social media hysteria.

In particular, I think the writer, the outstanding Ariel Levy, is able to throw cold water on the fad of Internet crime sleuthing that is extremely popular these days, drawing parallels between this case and the Boston bombing Reddit debacle. It has almost become accepted knowledge in certain corners of the Internet that but for their activism, perpetrators would be walking away scot-free. Facts take a back seat to narrative. Now, that's not a new phenomenon or exclusive to new media, but it is really interesting to read about how it played out in Steubenville.
  2. printit

printit Member

Terrific article. Thank you for posting the link.
  3. tmr

tmr Member

I'll be interested in reading that this week when I get my magazine. I've been waiting on someone to do a big story on the case and how it was covered. There are rumors in town the grand jury has indictments. But of course, those are rumors.
  4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The iPad version of The New Yorker is excellent. Every Monday morning it shows up and the issue is complete, including ads.
    I look forward to reading the article and maybe I'll skip ahead, I'm still 2 issues behind
  5. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Yeah. It's a great article. Still, I think the parallels to Boston can be overdrawn. It's not like the two brothers went ahead and posted martyrdom videos before they did the deed. Whereas, in the second case, you had the creepy, exhibitionist, found-guilty-in-a-court-of-law rapists running to the internet seemingly as soon as they got home.
  6. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

The school's IT guy was indicted by grand jury, arraignment Wednesday. Perjury, obstruction of justice and tampering. This will be interesting.
  7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

And yet, the football coach remains unscathed, even though he broke the law by threatening bodily harm to a reporter in a manner no different than Tony Soprano reminding someone that bad things will happen if they rat. Unless that guy gets fired/indicted there were will no change in that landscape.
Draft saved Draft deleted