1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trevor Bayne/Daytona 500: Cheering in the Press Box

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by akneeland, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I'm far from convinced the Mize comparison is a good one. The situation at Daytona sounds different to me. For one thing, did the press cheer Mize after his presser?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If the reporters have money on the outcome, they can cheer.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

No, the reporters didn't "cheer" Mize after his presser. It's been a long time, and maybe some did, but I don't think so. But that's not what I was getting at. Yes, the press box is a working press box. I get (and got) that. People are in there to work, so you don't want yahoos in there end on end. And in my day I saw such yahoos up and down the Atlantic seaboard, from Boston to Tampa. But even if they had, so what? You don't cheer because the ethics of your profession demand it. You don't cheer because it's discourteous to a goodly portion of the rest of the people in there. And a brief eruption in response to an unbelievably improbable outcome doesn't rise to that level. This was not (and could not) be an ethical breach.

4. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I always close my notebook and click my pen before I break out the Silly String in the press box.

5. akneeland

akneeland New Member

There's a fine line between gasping in astonishment/shock and applauding as a means of offering your support, and these media members at the Daytona 500 spat on it.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

I can believe this.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

A spontaneous gasp after a chip-in is not the same as applause after a presser that comes well after calming down from cheering the moment the cars hit the finish line.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The foreign media is a different animal. Aside from the North American media and, to a lesser extent, the Brits, cheering is not discouraged by their tradition.

The Formula One press box is a sight to behold in that regard. You've got Spanish journalists vs. Nordic journalists vs. British journalists cheering and booing almost against one another.

Also, to be fair, the Kentucky Derby has MAJOR cheering in the press box because all of the writers are cheering for their bets like everyone else. There's a betting window (or was in the old press box, the last time I covered the Derby was '02) in the press box for crissakes.

You can't make much sense of watching the race live, unless you're an experienced turf writer, so many wait until the replay to get to work.

9. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

This.

I've been in tons of golf media centers as both a writer and flack and there is a distinct difference between awe/amazement/disbelief at a given happening and out-and-out clapping and cheering a given happening or outcome.

The yahoos at Daytona crossed the line and never looked back.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Ha...when Sam Hornish won his Indy 500, I had his name in the press box pool run by the AP guys. When he won, yeah, I jumped just a titch. But then again that event had the spontaneous-gasp factor as Hornish ran down Marco Andretti on the final straightaway.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

That was my first thought, too.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Or the Japanese media covering any native ballplayer over here (but especially Hideki Matsui).

Draft saved Draft deleted