1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trevor Bayne/Daytona 500: Cheering in the Press Box

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by akneeland, Feb 24, 2011.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I think I always said congratulations and shook the coach's hand if it was a one-on-one after a game, and I always made a point to click the pen in front of them shut and wish them "good luck the rest of the way."

The congratulations was just another way of saying hello. The losing coach would always get "can I have a moment, coach."

And, yes, I have no problem calling a coach a coach.

2. akneeland

akneeland New Member

Same here. I say the "good luck" more in regard to my desire to see players avoid injury, and I have no problem telling a coach "congratulations."

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I say "good luck" and "congratulations" and have no problem with anyone who does. I shake hands socially and professionally. I've seen writers fist-bump with coaches and players after big wins, and it's something I'd never think to do or feel comfortable doing, but I'm not going to write 'em up for it.

Cheering and applauding in the press box? It would probably go in my blog.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I recall reading a column many years ago ripping college football writers at a different game that day who broke out cheering while watching Boston College knock off No. 1 Notre Dame in 1993.

It's to the point with me that I feel uncomfortable cheering or clapping in any context. I've gone to see politicians, writers, and so forth give speeches or lectures, and I always feel completely uncomfortable and awkward when the applause begins.

5. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

He should have been there when Dale Sr. won the damn thing ...

6. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

I thought the congratulations/good luck stuff was fairly common following one-on-ones or something.

Funny you should mention the first bump. I've been around a mid-major hoops team that has had some recent success, and a handful of the players started the superstition of fist-bumping the radio guys before the opening tip of any game. That spread to now include the majority of the press row.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I miss David Poole.

8. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with simply congratulating a winning coach or player in prefacing a one-on-one interview. It's a polite introduction. You'd do the exact same had it been the other coach.

9. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Yes. Yes. Yes. In fact, I'd say rooting "for the sport" is almost a greater ethical breach than rooting for a team. "The sport" is the product of a corporation or association that, even when designed specifically for charitable purposes, deserves the same — if not more — media scrutiny than the players, coaches and team offices are given.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Anyone uncomfortable with NASCAR cheering, I see your point, but I raise you a case of the Russian media at any Olympic games involving a Russian athlete.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

When Larry Mize chipped in to win the Masters in '87, the pressroom exploded. Applause? I can't remember. An astonished outcry at the sheer improbability of it? Definitely. I'm sure this sums up the feelings in the pressroom at Daytona. To those who might gripe I have three words: Get. Over. Yourself.

12. akneeland

akneeland New Member

Another angle: How comparable is a scenario involving media members booing players/teams/coaches/etc?

Draft saved Draft deleted