1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trevor Bayne/Daytona 500: Cheering in the Press Box

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by akneeland, Feb 24, 2011.

1. akneeland

akneeland New Member

jaybusbee.com:

frontstretch.com:

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Nothing new in racing.

I covered the Pepsi 400 when Jr. won it a little more than a year after his father had been killed. You should have heard the writers screaming for him when he came into the media area. I was standing next to one of the most respected racing writers in the country and he was cheering as loud as anyone.

3. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Is it such a bad thing thing to high-five someone? (I'm more of a handshake guy.) If there's a big win, I don't think it's wrong to congratulate the coach or a player. You're building rapport and I don't think it compromises your integrity. It doesn't necessarily mean you were hoping they'd win.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There's nothing wrong with that. I was at the Super Bowl several years ago and after the team won, when I walked into the locker room, a 350-pound defensive lineman randomly picked me up and bearhugged me. The live feed on TV showed the celebration and when I got back to the press box, our columnist yelled to me, "Hey, (the slot guy) just called and said to tell you to stop hugging the players and start filing your sidebars."

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I agree that motor sports writers tend to lean on the fan side more than any sport I have ever covered.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Yes, you fanboi looser, if you're cheering then go sit in the stands and leave the press box to the professionals.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Maybe that's why Jay Busbee didn't cheer on Sunday - because Dale Jr. didn't win Daytona.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

How can a writer not realize that "cheering for the good of the sport" is just as bad as cheering for a particular team or player?

The only exceptions to cheering are if your team wins an you get to cover them in Hawaii or someplace or if your team loses and ends a miserable season.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Daytona? Pepsi 400? Super Bowl? Lightweight.

I was in the press tent when Neil Armstrong came back inside after walking on the moon. I was the first one he passed on the way to the front. We bumped helmet visors. Always wonder if I should have pulled back. I was caught up in the moment, but as I look back, it seems a bit booster-ish.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's pretty ballsy. I would have been afraid of space cooties.

11. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

While I wasn't there and don't condone cheering the press box, the real question is who the fuck is Jay Busbee and does he think whatever readers he might have give a shit he got his panties in a wad?

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Exactly. It's not even open for debate. And good for those guys for calling them out. (An aside: I'm friends with Nate and we're former co-workers. No surprise knowing him that he would say something like that.)

Draft saved Draft deleted