1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tressel Out (per Columbus Dispatch)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Flying Headbutt, May 30, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's too soon for both sides. Both Meyer and OSU would take a PR beating if it happened this quickly.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I think, Mizzou, the answer to that question is self-evident. The only question is, will OSU be under such severe NCAA sanctions that Meyer won't want to take on the job with one hand tied behind his back for three or four seasons?

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Because otherwise PR has not been a problem for either...

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

What kind of sanctions is OSU facing? USC level?

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I've got to think Tressel's resignation may, at best, get them USC-level sanctions. I'm sure it was going to be worse.

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I bet Shelly Poe will especially enjoy working on her soccer media guide this week.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

@georgedohrmann -- George Dohrmann

I'm told it is likely my SI mag story will be posted at SI.com later today/tonight. Timing of Tress dec. will make sense after you read it

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Saban is a former OSU assistant.

OSU should offer him 10 bucks more than Bama -- he'd be in the bag.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Ray Small is very heartbroken at the news:

http://twitter.com/SmallyMcfly/status/75205645732818944

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Oddly enough, I first learned of the Vest's departure via a tweet from Old Hoss Radbourn, who quipped:

Apparently a famous professor has resigned from The Ohio State University. I hope academics do not suffer as a result.

11. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

Why is ESPN interviewing a Plain Dealer reporter on a story broke by the Dispatch? Just seems odd.

12. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Ohio State was probably looking at some steep penalties and Tressell resigning is a way to soften the blow.

Notice the timing of the resignation right being after ex player saying everybody does it there before getting ripped by current and ex-players and falling back on the "I was misquoted" defense.

Goodbye cheater.

Draft saved Draft deleted