1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tressel and Ohio State could be in trouble

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KYSportsWriter, Mar 7, 2011.

1. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Tressel makes $3.5 million per year. That doesn't include an athletic apparel deal or any other sources of income.

$250K may not be chump change. But it's not like he's going to have to file for bankruptcy after this either.

2. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Let's not forget: That the university's action.

The NCAA has yet to speak. At the very least, I'm guessing, Tress lied to investigators. I'm sure one of the first questions they asked was "how long did you know about kids selling their swag?" No way he answered truthfully.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Did the NCAA even investigate this? I thought it was a Big 10 investigation.

4. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

NCAA doesn't investigate. Universities investigate, turn over evidence to NCAA and self-impose. NCAA can approve the penalties, but has the option to levy additional penalties. The conference can also impose penalties, which means Tressel could get more than 2 games when it's all said and done.

5. Layman

Layman Well-Known Member

As the resident SJ Buckeye fanboi ....there should be more of a punishment. Period. In my mind, the Tressel's offense is a far bigger deal, a much bigger black mark on the University, than the players violation. I'm completely disgusted by this entire clusterf*ck.

6. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

I don't know about that. Bruce Pearl got 8 games, about 1/4 of the season, and $1.5 million in salary reduction over 5 years. This is 1 less game and about $50,000 less. Big Ten could still come in with additional penalties.

7. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

NCAA does send its own people to look into situations, even when colleges/conferences self-report — even if it's onlyto backtrace the steps the self-reporters have taken. Somewhere along the line, Tressel had to have spoken with somebody from the NCAA, if only to point to the report and say "Yep, that's how it happened."

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Someone tell this "Educator" that this is a Little Sisters of the Poor punishment.

[​IMG]

9. printdust

printdust New Member

"We're very fine cheaters."

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Pearl was suspended for eight SEC games.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Two games? Tressel knew about this for over 8 mos., did nothing, then claims "he was protecting the confidentiality of the attorney who tipped him off." Um, that's simply ridiculous. An attorney is not confidential information, unless the client is asked about it. Tressel is a third party and there is no confidentiality between an attorney and a third party. Tressel would not be protecting anything. Nice try buddy.

He says he did not want his kids to get caught up in a federal investigation. Well they were in it and everyone in the investigation knew it.

The real story here, and shame on the NCAA here, the NCAA was reacting only after everyone in the investigation knew about it.

If, HUGE IF, the NCAA has any backbone/integrity whatsoever left, they need to lay down a major penalty. OSU has admitted to a major violation, once again, only after a media report required they react. Time to tell them this is unacceptable. (Okay this is a pipe dream that is not going to happen.)

12. mb

mb Active Member

I'd just like to go ahead and preemptively pour one out for whichever MAC school gets lit up over this.

Draft saved Draft deleted