1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tressel and Ohio State could be in trouble

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KYSportsWriter, Mar 7, 2011.

1. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Don't know what to make of that, but it certainly could indicate a resignation.

Also, who knows what Yahoo! has on him? Hell, they can be sitting on a whole lot of evidence waiting to see Ohio St.'s move. If Ohio St. chooses to deny, they might even be more severely fucked if Yahoo! decides to drop everything in an another article or series of articles.

2. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I bet Jim Tressel wishes he lost that recruiting war for Pryor right about now.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Mike Leach come on down.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I know this much. Kent State better have their noses clean or else they are going to get the shit kicked out of them for this.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Let's imagine for a minute that Tressel is gone and probation is coming, could the kids that signed in Feb. have any shot at getting out of their letters of intent? That possibility might be of particular interest in my neck of the woods.

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Corch Urban.

7. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

Highly doubtful, especially given the fact that Tressel's not going anywhere. A suspension might be coming, but I'd be stunned if he's not the coach at the end of the day.

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I'm sure you're right, but I already had people asking me "Could Curtis Grant end up at UVa?" You see it happen in basketball, but I didn't remember it in football right off the top of my head. But I would be very surprised if it's more than a suspension or if recruits would even want to jump ship.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If "probation is coming," it's many moons away as shown by the USC example, so there wouldn't be any accommodation for that. And a coaching change is never a reason to allow a penalty-free transfer. But if he's planning to redshirt, wouldn't that dovetail with the one-year sit for transfers anyway?

10. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

No respect for the Vest. Since he let those hoodlums play in the bowl game I hope all Hell is unleashed on him.

But, I'm sure he'll get off light, just like his players.

11. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

The NCAA had the opportunity to give Alabama the death penalty about 10 years ago and didn't do it. The NCAA may have rules, but it cares about $$$ more.

And the head coaches almost always get off relatively scot-free; if anything, the assistants take the fall. Kelvin Sampson's "punishment" for his rules violations at Indiana was a coaching position in the NBA while Tom Crean was left to clean up the mess. Eddie Sutton got Kentucky on probation and almost immediately got another major conference coaching job. Even Clem Haskins, he of the massive academic scandal at Minnesota in the late '90s, got a $1.5 million settlement after the scandal broke.

I wouldn't be shocked if Tressel and the Buckeyes get off with a mere slap on the wrist while some unknown assistant is sacrificed.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Wonder how many of those players will be back in light of new information.

Can they still declare for NFL?

Draft saved Draft deleted