1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trentonian - Unpaid sports internship

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Wonderlic, Feb 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoop Time

Hoop Time Member

As much as a lot of folks like to look down on coverage of the Little league stuff, it does draw high readership in areas where it is popular. And when a team takes off and goes all the way to Williamsport, it can provide a nice boost to circulation and Web traffic.

Might also point out the interest in Little League is great enough for the WWLIS to keep expanding its coverage.

Not that anybody would want to cover it for free or for the Trentonian (not necc. in that order)

2. I'm sure someone who needs the experience would be glad to cover it.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

little league?

4. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

So apply, Mr. Wetbehindtheears.

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

It's popular in that area and as a result draws alot of readers and coverage.
    I'm not looking down on it, just pointing out that it's a summer internship and that's what dominates their summer coverage.

6. Who says I haven't?

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

my readers would slash my fucking tires if i started leading with LL.

8. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

In 1990, the Trentonian hired a sports editor from Hawaii. Paid for his relocation and everything! In 1991, Lee Jelenic played in the district Little League tournament as an 11-year-old. On the first night of the tournament, the paper sent two writers, including a longtime veteran who had covered Little League for more than 15 years, to separate games. A photographer was sent to Lee's game.

Bob called Gale Baldwin and screamed at him for not having a writer at the game. Baldwin then chewed out the sports editor. The veteran writer called the West Windsor (Lee's team) coach and wrote a 12-inch story on the game. After that, he would have to cover every WW game. The paper covered their later games with four writers (two from news) later in the tournament. There was a famous edition in which the sports back led with a rainout of the West Windsor-Chambersburg game (in fairness, the game did draw 3,000 fans).

There was another one where the paper led with a preview to a West Windsor game.

After the tournament, which Lee's team won (punctuated by Lee himself jumping up and down on home plate after hitting a home run to make the score 20-0), the sports editor was fired.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Wow. Bob was soft in his younger years. He didn't have the guy fired on the spot.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

wow. just wow.

11. Jim_Mora

Jim_Mora Member

I realize I may be opening a Charlie weis-size can of worms of worms here, but from some one who knows nothing about it, why does everyone detest this paper?

12. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Go back to the top of the Jobs forum and plug "Trentonian" into the search field in the top right. You should find plenty of answers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.