1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trentonian Internships

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Batman, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

No, it won't work. I'm sorry your existence at JRC sucked during the regime of you know who. But you've moved on, haven't you?

The new CEO has turned the company upside-down, reinvigorated the employees. Moral continues to skyrocket. Do some research and find the CEO and his blog that is open for anyone to read. Everyone is encouraged to communicate with the CEO through his blog. Transparency is the new black at JRC. The philosophy is different. The fear of the wrath of you-know-who has been wiped away, eliminated, kaput, and not just because he's dead. New vision. New attitude.

Your rants were somewhat funny 2 years ago.

Now, for any aspiring sports journalist: If you want to work with, and learn from, a solid manager who is going to be mover and shaker in this business for a long time, drop Ben Doody your resume.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It's going to take a long time for any CEO to wipe away the stain of you-know-who at JRC. That you-know-who did untold damage to the lives of hundreds, if not thousands, of workers. Once that reputation is gained, it's very hard to shed.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Uh huh. This the same JRC that is no longer using photographers at at least one newspaper?

http://newspaperturnaround.blogspot.com/2010/03/newspaper-staff-photographer-goes-away.html?spref=fb

New emperor, same clothes.

Please try harder, and make sure to swallow.

4. Songbird

Oh look: BYU make sexual insult.

If it will make you feel better, sweetie, you can do your little mad-libs post. I'll laugh so that you'll feel like you did a funny.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

OK, folks, that's enough. Take it to PMs.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

It wasn't sexual innuendo at all. It was a reference to your swallowing of the JRC Kool-Aid b/c the joint happens to employ you and you were never careful about your ID so you've got to go over the top in your support.

I, too, thought you were somewhat funny two years ago. Now you have someplace else to go and we are all happier for it. So why did you come back here? Now you run along and tell the worst of that other board how you told me off here and you guys can have a big ol' jerkoff. Yeah. That was sexual innuendo.

7. Songbird

If the joint that employs me rubbed me the wrong way to the point of bitterness, I wouldn't go through the trouble to defend it, and I'd start looking elsewhere. I'd sit back and read your bitter mad libs because there was merit and justification to them.

I'm well-aware of the reign of psychosis. I arrived at the end of that reign and didn't have to deal with it, luckily. I heard the stories, and if you read what I posted, and not like you give a shit, but I said I'm sorry that you had to go through that trauma. In this business, we're on the same team, and no one deserves to be put through that kind of cancerous environment. But you can't change the past.

Now there is a new boss who is shaking the cancer of tyranny and fear. He's building morale in a company that was void of it. People were leery at first, but they're jumping aboard his train -- as a team -- to build something. There's positive energy flowing throughout the company by a lot more people than by the old crusties whose negative energy is a flickering light.

There are still issues. Lots of them. But there's also a guy trying to right as many wrongs as he can. And you're going to try to shit on that because why?

If it turns out that the new JRC fizzles like the last incarnation, by all means, continue your hatchet job, BYH.

As for your "so why did you come back here?" line, I never left, honey. If I'm not mistaken, some of your closest besties here like to post there, too, right?

Lastly, as far as the "tell the worst of the other board how you told me off here" line, I'll give you a thousand dollars to find one post out of my 8,000 there that demeans, degrades or defames you.

As for the internships and aspiring sports journalists: You won't find many better opportunities in a market, between NYC and Philly, to dive right into the game and get your fingernails dirty. If it was anything less than that, I wouldn't have said anything in the first place.

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I find this quote on DeRienzo's blog funny.

I'd like to know where these passable freelance sports photographers are out there. You going to get crotch shots from the yearbook photog? Um, no.

Xan, I love you, man, and I know Trenton is a different situation than Torrington, but really -- DeRienzo is a joke, and he epitomizes the thinking of many who still are in the higher rungs of JRC: Do more with practically nothing.

9. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Beej, Xan:

I have nothing but love for you both. Please take the personal stuff elsewhere.

10. Songbird

It's not personal, Trooper. I don't have negative opinions of BYH. Never have.

Just trying to have my people's backs.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

[blue]I'm sure the JRC higher-ups will remember your passionate defense when they decide to slash payroll.[/blue]

I never criticized, and never would criticize, any of your co-workers. Some of the best journalists and best people I ever worked with were at JRC shops. But I'm going to shit, in your words, on the new execs at the JRC, because, as Wicked notes, the m.o. is exactly the same as it was under the old regime. Any commitment to journalism and commitment to treating people well is lip service. I have no interest in defending anyone like that, or reading/listening to anyone defending anyone like that.

I also, FWIW, didn't criticize 2.0 or its creators. And yes, some of my "besties" are there. So, too, are some low-life losers who believe in a scorched earth policy and in getting incredibly personal with the criticism of anyone who isn't there or ever had the temerity to disagree with them. I KNOW those particular people get off on reading stuff like this, and I know you know it too.

12. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

It's still not what it was in the mid-90s before Jelenic, Bonfield & Co. got their hands on it. But it has improved considerably from where it was even 2 1/2 years ago, when a certain sports editor that many on here complained about mercifully bailed.

They also have made an effort to modernize their equipment and, for a paper of its size and resources, actually have a decent online product. It's not the best one in the country by any stretch, but it's far better than what the Times (the other paper in Trenton) has.

I know the new leaders there and they actually invest some in making the product better and making employees better. Again, I'm not saying it's great - it isn't. But it's no longer the hellhole it used to be. As an intern, there are far worse players you can go to get experience for a few months.

Draft saved Draft deleted