1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trent Lott resigning from Senate

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Nov 26, 2007.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

Where's Khayat going?

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

OK, so this just got a little more interesting.

It looks like Mississippi election law holds that the special election be within 90 days of Lott retiring. Which means, if he really wants to get out before the new lobbying restrictions kick in at the end of the year, Mississippi will have to have a one-off election at an oddball time, rather than wait and tack his election onto the national ballot in Nov. 2008.

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/mississippi-special-election-date-causes-uncertainty-2007-11-26.html

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

He says he wasn't going to run for the new term, but felt like he had to after Katrina.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Home to take a nap, I guess.

5. Gold

Gold Active Member

Maybe Lott wants to select the new football coach at Ole Miss. That is a more important position than US Senator. ;)

6. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

There is no possible way that would happen. Five years after Strom-gate? I think James Meredith would burn Ole Miss down.

7. Faithless

Faithless Member

I doubt Barbour will take it. I think the GOP fix is in for Chip Pickering to replace Lott, and I don't see any other prominent Republicans in the state (Amy Tuck, Roger Wicker, Mike Parker, Charlie Ross, etc.) contesting it.

Now when it comes election time, Pickering will face the survivor of the Democrats' battle royal between these possible candidates: Mike Moore, Mike Espy, Ronnie Musgrove, Gene Taylor, Dick Molpus, Ray Mabus, Bennie Thompson, or Wayne Dowdy.

8. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

There is no way a Democrat will win that seat...not with Barbour and Lott as popular as they are. And there is no way Bennie Thompson will get the nomination. Hell, I have a better chance of getting the Democratic nomination and I'm not a Democrat and I don't live in Mississippi anymore.
    It would be interesting to see Taylor run for it, but the fact that he's a Catholic from Bay St. Louis would probably doom him statewide, even though he's a very conservative Democrat.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Let's see:

Republican: check
    Family Values Guy: check
    Senator: check

Gay as a three dollar bill.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

"When Senator Lott became leader in 1996," says spokeswoman Susan Irby, "he instituted 'Seersucker Thursday,' usually designated in the month of June. He wanted to bring a little southern charm to the Capitol—show senators how to beat the heat with a fashion statement and show that the Senate could have a little fun."

This year, it's June 21. Don't laugh. Nearly 30 senators put the stripes on last year.

"It started out mainly as a male bastion," says Irby, "but several years ago, [Democratic] Sen. Dianne Feinstein of California decided that the women senators needed to be involved. So she provided seersucker suits for every female senator who did not already have one. Some, like Sen. Blanche Lincoln of Arkansas, already did."

Even Sen. Hillary Clinton recently joined in the, um, fashion parade.

"We've had a boffo seersucker surge on the Senate floor," says Irby. Lott has spiced things up recently, adding hot pink socks and matching tie to his outfit, which, according to southern tradition, always includes white bucks.

http://www.usnews.com/dbimages/master/955/061506-71345-0110-jf.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Pink socks?

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

They matched his tie.

Draft saved Draft deleted