1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trent Green is out

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HandsomeHarley, Sep 10, 2006.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I wouldn't let Brodie Croyle cut my lawn... everything would be too short.

2. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

It took Whitlock one game to get hip to Herm. From the preseason lovefests, to a rip after game one. Jason, you should have known all along.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/15488713.htm

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

The man always works his corners.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

jason

welcome to the herm edwards way of coaching. n.y. writers weren't way off-base, were they? "you play to win the game," my ass.

5. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

Confusion on the sideline of a Herm Edwards-coached team? Get out! :D [/channeling BYH]

No surprise to this observer, obviously. How long until Herm starts ripping Solari and Cunningham in the Arrowhead hallways?

And, yeah, I saw plenty of that vanilla Cover 2 the last five years. Get used to it, KC, and watch any team with a halfway-decent TE absolutely shred that defense.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

“Missed communication on the call,” Edwards said when I asked about the play call. “I’ll leave it at that.”

Translation: counting from one to four still escapes Herm.

Speaking of missed communication, looks like someone missed all the signs regarding Herm's complete ineptitude as a coach. Not sure how you could do that, but hey, better late than never.

Next up: A column about how Herm is, gasp, not quite the walk-on-water guy he says he is.

7. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

Excellent column, Jason, but hey, we told you so.

It goes like this, JW, Herm's great in the media room, excellent off-the-record in the hallway, and he's very good at motivating players. Everything else about being a football coach, including pesky little things such as evaluating talent, disciplining players properly and managing the clock and the game itself, still elude him after five-plus years.

Oh, and had he done the right thing and sat Curtis Martin down last season in late Sept. or early Oct. and made him get knee surgery then, instead of playing him for two months after he was originally injured, Curt might be playing right now. I can't say for sure, but it's possible. Maybe he wouldn't have as chronic a knee situation as he does now.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Thank you, Freelance.

And creole, I know Geathers was going after Green on that play, but the extra push by Kennison is what made the hit so vicious. Green probably wouldn't have been injured had Kennison not pushed Geathers.

9. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Oh, yes, they did fuck it up. One, Kennison barely touched the guy. That's the biggest pile of shit excuse I've ever heard. Secondly, I saw this play live. I was across the field, but even from my standpoint, it was clear Green was well into his slide before he was demolished.

KC was going to lose that game regardless. But the NFL has gone to huge strides to protect quarterbacks in recent years, and here's a blatant example of a cheap shot on a defenseless quarterback. I don't care if he led with his head or not. I saw Green starting to slide, and Geathers had a hell of a lot better view than I did.

My reaction was like everybody else sitting there in the rain. I jumped up and screamed for a penalty, because, well, it was a pretty blatant fucking penalty. But nope, nothing.

Just wondering... if this scene plays out with Manning in Indy, or Brady in New England, or McNabb in Philly, or Big Ben in Pittsburgh.. think there would've been a flag? I'd almost be willing to bet my left nut on it.

What's done is done. The 15 yards wouldn't have made a difference. But if that doesn't qualify as an illegal hit, what the fuck does??

10. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

And while I'm ranting, whoever made the decision to wear those hideous white uniforms in Arrowhead should be skull-thumped. I'm convinced that's half the reason why Green got hurt. They've never worn white-on-white at home. Not once. No reason to start yesterday. If I wanted to see Cincy's butt-ugly home uniforms, I'd go see a game there.

11. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

dd, i was in the stadium too... and if you think you can tell anything better from there... well....
    from the replays i thought they both committed to the ground at about the same time. green had scrambled twice on that drive and the time before he was near the first-down marker, he didn't slide.

even if it may have been a penalty, it was anything but a 'cheap shot'

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

It saddens me that BYH is known as the anti-Herm presence on the board.

Sniff... sniff

Draft saved Draft deleted