1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tremendous stuff from Walter Iooss Jr

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Elliotte Friedman, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Interesting. Good stories. Not keen on him telling guys what he wants to shoot, like the Reggie Jackson and Earl Weaver stuff.

3. mrbio

mrbio Member

Classic stuff. Like the insights on Johnny Mac very much. Photographers are great sources for information.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

This was a very good issue of SI, worth the yearly subscription rate all by itself. Of course, I only paid like $20 and got a cheap pullover to go with it, but still.

5. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Yes, I love having a photography along on a feature assignment. They'll bring up a whole new line of questions that I would never have thought to bring up.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Ditto. The feature on the 1986 Bengals by King and Co. is terrific too.

7. mrbio

mrbio Member

They have the best seat in the house and they pick up many minute details most do not see or hear - such as regarding body punches in boxing matches. Still remember one photographer talking about the anguished sounds Zab Judah was making after getting hit by Miguel Cotto's body shots.

8. ringer

ringer Active Member

I loved the story of Neil Leifer yelling "Cov-ah! Covah! I even left room for a headline!"

Made me laugh out loud.

9. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

I was a little amazed (although not surprised) about the LeBron stuff. Over the past couple years, he really seems to have developed into someone who's lost touch with reality in favor of his reality, and Iooss's dealings with him seemed to cement that idea.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I've seen a few newspapers that do a photography blog, where they show a good picture from the last week or so and do a behind-the-scenes of how it came to be.

If you have a photographer that's also a good writer, it's great content.

11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Great stories in there. I especially liked the one about the first Super Bowl, and how SI was going to use a Lear jet at halftime and right after the game, just to get the rolls of film back to New York.

Ah, the good ol' days of film ...

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I definitely thought that was interesting. I wonder whether it's a product of his lack of journalism and academic backgrounds. He comes across as a guy who made up the rules as he went. Then again, the Jackson shot was specifically requested by an editor, he says.

Draft saved Draft deleted