1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tremendous story in the Boston Globe

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Corky Ramirez up on 94th St., Oct 25, 2006.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Very good story, though I wasn't a big fan of QUOTE-QUOTE-QUOTE-QUOTE to end the story.

Also would have liked a quote from John McNamara, and an acknowledgment by someone, anyone, that if Clemens doesn't puss out and ask out with a widdle blister, none of this happens.

2. slipshod

slipshod Member

In my opinion, you get material like that, you let it tell the story and try not to get in the way.

3. TrojanHorse

TrojanHorse Guest

Twenty years from now, maybe they'll write the same story about Randy Moss. Or Terrell Owens. Or Jason Giambi.

Too soon to tell. But who knows............

4. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Thought '86 was his only season in Boston. Perhaps?

5. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

That, is unfortunately how he writes....quote after quote after quote. I've read a lot of grossfield's stuff, and overall i think he's pretty good. His photography is better than this writing, but it's the stories he comes up with that i like. he did one a few months ago about a girl at a regional college (it slips my mind now, maybe northeastern?) who had a sex change operation and whether she could compete as a track athlete.

Then he did one on the bowdoin women's basketball team and their division 3 win streak, and another a few years ago on clemens and his son in the minor leagues. all good reads and decent photos for the same guy.

as far as this piece, i thought the throw-in stuff at the end was a little forced, but it had to be done because of the boston crowd. Could have been worked in a little earlier though. 8 out of 10.

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Good read. Further proof some people are addicts from the first puff, whether it's cigarettes or crack.

7. Stan Grossfield is always worth the read. He writes about things that are uncommon and that interest him. He presents the facts and I almost always find his choice of subjects edifying. I mean - how many Bill Buckner stories can you read? This is the gravedigger story to the 86 Red Sox - a perspective that maybe some better writers never would have persued.

8. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Sometimes, a writer needs to know when to get the hell out of the way of the story.

This is one of those times.

Too many writers would have smothered the story by overdoing it.

Draft saved Draft deleted