1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tremendous story in the Boston Globe

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Corky Ramirez up on 94th St., Oct 25, 2006.

1. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

On how former O's, Red Sox and Indians pitcher Sammy Stewart has been arrested 26 times in 17 years, mostly due to a cocaine habit:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2006/10/25/rock_bottom/?page=full

I thought I knew a lot about the players I watched growing up, but I never heard about his downfall.

2. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I played in a 13-year-old Babe Ruth regional in Asheville, N.C., and the tournament T-shirts had his picture on them. Talk about a big fall (from the bigs, not some worn-out T-shirt).

3. blondebomber

blondebomber Member

I thought the material was fabulous. The writing was so-so.

4. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

The writer is actually a photographer by trade. In the past few years, he's also taken up feature writing. He's not a bad writer, but you'd think the stories he shoots would be better off in the hands of a more experienced writer.

5. The writing's fine. For every writer that would have done something better with it, there's got to be 20 that would have punched this up and turned it into a nauseating melodrama when the facts themselves are dramatic enough.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Good call Bruce. It was a quick read, which you don't always get with stories like that. Hell, I'd probably overwrite it too.

7. happygirl

happygirl Member

Not only is the writer (Stan Grossfeld) a photgrapher by trade, but he's a Pulitzer Prize-winning photographer. He generally writes feel-good fluff pieces and does a pretty good job of it.

8. Purchase

Purchase New Member

I hope they don't write the same type of story about me one day. The high of crack is indeed euphoric. You never quit; you just walk away and hope never to turn around again.

9. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

The '86 World Series stuff at the end seemed thrown in. It's all really good info, don't get me wrong, but the story is about this man dealing with his addiction to crack. I am not sure how him not pitching in 86 has anything to do with anything.

10. Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum Member

Because, reading between the lines, his life might've turned out differently if he had played in the World Series.

11. Gold

Gold Active Member

I was at the game when Stewart set the record for seven straight strikeouts. Sad story.

12. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Well, the story did appear in the Boston Globe.

Draft saved Draft deleted