1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tremendous Len Bias story

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Jun 26, 2008.

1. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

1. As just about everyone but you who has posted on this agrees, there is no reasonable way to call this piece Boston-centric.
    2. In your initial post, you seemed to be belittling the impact of Bias' death by complaining that had he been drafted by another team, it wouldn't have been such a big deal. I was pointing out that you seemed to miss the writer's point -- the fact Bias was from the D.C. area and was drafted by Boston, when Tip O'Neill was majority leader, ended up making Bias a major touchstone in the war on drugs.
    If you understood the writer's point and still thought it was somehow relevant to complain that had he been drafted by Golden State, he would have been quickly forgotten ... I'm not quite sure what to say to that. Why does that matter, and what does it have to do with anything?

2. JackS

JackS Member

Without judging the story (which I did read) or trying to be a wise guy, I ask seriously what is the statute of limitations on Len Bias stories?

It's 22 years later and there's no real news peg. Do we get more retrospectives at 25 years? 30? 50?

3. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

It's obviously not a Boston-centric piece; the whole thing is that it's timely again because the Celtics are again relevant for the first time since Bias' death.

4. JackS

JackS Member

Although the story does not tie into the present day Celtics in any way, so it strikes me it was going to be written regardless of the team's resurgence. I question the timeliness.

5. VJ

VJ Member

I enjoyed the story but also questioned the timing of it... as soon as I saw it I was trying to figure out if it was the 25th anniversary already.

6. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

Right, well, he was 22 when he died, and June 19 was the 22 year anniversary of his death. So I guess it was something to examine.

7. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Or, you know, the fact that Len Bias was supposed to be the player that the Celtics counted on to continue the glory of the mid-1980s ... and this was the first time that they've won since that happened.

Why some people find such easy answers with regards to this story hard to find is beyond me.

8. JackS

JackS Member

The story mentions absolutely nothing about the Celtics winning this year. That's my point.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I don't think they needed to beat us over the head with why it's timely.

"Bias - whose story is once again relevant because the Boston Celtics returned to glory this season - began convulsing."

10. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Exactly.

11. JackS

JackS Member

True, your throwaway clause accomplishes nothing. A lot more should be required. 22 years later, it's not obvious to everyone that Bias has any relevance whatsoever to Celtics history. I play ball with people who weren't even born when Bias died. And if you're not tying together the death and the current team, those folks should immediately be asking why the hell you're writing about somebody overdosing 22 years ago. It needs a peg.

12. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

::)

Draft saved Draft deleted