1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tremendous Len Bias story

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Jun 26, 2008.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

If this is a DP, sorry ... but it's good enough to be a DP, so no one will miss it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=bias&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab3pos1

2. maberger

maberger Member

more boston-centric piffle from the internet's number one boston fanboy website; at least they know their audience.

would bias have gotten 1/100th the attention if golden state drafted him?

3. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Entirely, completely disagree. In the wake of the Celtics' championship, this is a completely reasonable - and interestingly-written - topic to bring back up.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Plus it's not like the No. 2 draft pick dying is an everyday occurence, either. And the aftermath, with the tougher drug laws, is still being felt today. It's a worthy topic.

5. VJ

VJ Member

The Boston element of the story is such a small part of the story. Bias' death would have had about 2% less impact if he had been drafted by Golden State.

6. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I hate to agree with Hondo, but this is very good. And it isn't written in a Boston-centric way or for a Bostonian audience.
    The point is made in the story, in fact, that Bias being from the D.C. area and getting drafted by Boston had a lot to do with the impact, especially on Congress, via Tip O'Neill, and the resulting drug legislation.
    Try reading the story before ripping it.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

My comment is a general one, not a comment on the story, but we don't know how Bias would have fared in the NBA.

I've always found the notion that his death stole championships from the Celtics to be masturbatory wishful thinking and an easy crutch for the mismangement of that franchise from '86 on.

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Yeah, I mean, damn, can we credit good writing here once in a while.
    Timely topic, good read.
    Not finished with it yet, but solid work.
    Many of you might not have been around when Bias played, then passed. Just as it's hard for me to evaluate, say, Elgin Baylor.
    Bias was top-shelf and would have been, in my mind, an NBA stud.

9. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Really enjoyed the story and can't wait to read Weinreb's book on sports in the 1980s.

As for Bias the player, I think he would have been really good (I remember watching his famous game against North Carolina in UNC), but I do wonder if his career would have been derailed by his drug use (uh, more than it was...). He could have easily gone the Chris Washburn, Roy Tarpley route; played a couple of seasons and then been undone by rehab, failed drug tests, etc. And I don't know if that crew of Celtics would have won anymore titles with Bias. Injuries and age started ravaging the starters the next season.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

d_b Hondo. d_b. For deeper background, our charming member who posts things late.
    But, yeah, good story. Thanks for posting (and it isn't a d_b or a DP)

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The general consensus (or at least according to Bill Simmons ;D ) is that Bias would have enabled Bird, McHale and Parish to have more rest, and be less susceptible to injuries. And if one of them would have missed an extended period of time, Bias would be just as capable as the missing player.

Who knows for sure how his career would have played out. Maybe Jones and Auerbach would have kept him on the straight and narrow.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Wouldn't double post be shortened to DP?

Sorry if I'm not up on what the cool kids on the board are calling things.

Draft saved Draft deleted