1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tremendous Buddy films

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Promising, newb'. Very promising.
    A Leinie's Original, please.
    And search the site for "The Malina Infection."

2. Some Like It Hot
    The Blues Brothers
    Three Kings
    Lethal Weapon

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've got a tri-fecta with Brian's Song. Buddy movie (they meet under adverse circumstance, become friends, see each other through hardship, then one of them dies). It's a movie that makes you cry and and the theme makes you cry as well. Buh - da, da-da, da, dum, as we see Pic and Sayers running through the park with Jack Warden telling us the story wasn't about how Brian Piccalo died, but how he lived.

4. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

[​IMG]

My apologies for just the label and not a pint or pitcher.

Yours is the only reference of The Malina Infection, but a google search brought up a bunch of pages about hepatitis C :eek:

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Beaches

Beavis and Butthead

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Didn't read early entries, but "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas." If ever there was a buddy movie ...

Also, "Thelma and Louise."

7. First, I love both movies.
    Second, Clerks is hard to count because the "buddy" doesn't show up for the first 20 minutes of a 90-minute film.
    Finally, how can you mention two Kevin Smith movies and leave out his best -- Chasing Amy, which is also a buddy movie?
    I'm adding Shaun of the Dead to the list as well.
    And Fight Club, sort of.
    Second Shawshank.
    Wedding Crashers.
    How about the half (or so) of Pulp Fiction with Vincent and Jules?

8. [​IMG]

Damn, we in a tight spot!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

I've championed its virtues before but it remains a great lost film, sadly unavailable on DVD: Soldier in the Rain.

From imdb.com

Sentemental military comedy revolves around two contemporary army buddies, Master Sergeant Maxwell Slaughter (Jackie Gleason), a smooth operator, who Supply Sergeant Eustis Clay (Steve McQueen) idolizes and hopes will join him as a civilian in a private business enterprise. Clay endeavors to be a player in the military, just like Slaughter, but it seems as though Clay still has a lot to learn from his mentor. They are joined by Tuesday Weld as a shrill dizzy blonde teenager named Bobby Jo Pepperdine and Tony Bill as bumbling Private First Class Jerry Meltzer, McQueen's screwball sidekick.

A Blake Edwards film.

YHS, etc

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia is easily the best buddy movie with a drunk loser and a dead man's head.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Not sure Chasing Amy qualifies. The story revolves around the between Ben Affleck's character and the sort-of lesbian. Banky gets a lot of screen time, but he is really more of a supporting character.

Good call on Shaun of the Dead, right through to the final scene.

Draft saved Draft deleted