1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Treme

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I loathe Sonny like no other character in a Simon show. He just sucks all around. Hope he gets the clap from that snowblowing whore he hooked up with.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Also, I should note this show is best watched with a cold Bud heavy in hand.

3. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Really like the feel of the show, even when nothing special is going on. For me, they don't even really need a plot, I'd watch these people interact for an hour.
    Also, had no idea Khandi Alexander could really act. Wow. All I ever saw her in was that idiotic CSI Miami, where she was the medical examiner who always dressed like she was about to do a floor show at a nightclub. This is quite different.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I caught up on the Sunday episode last night. I liked the episode, and the stories around Mardi Gras. The only thing about the show that is wearing on me is that everyone is too interconnected and it was done way too quickly. They have introduced a couple of dozen characters, and all of them seem to know each other or run into each other randomly. It's like New Orleans is a city of only a few dozen people. It would have been OK to let some of the story lines run individually, without EVERYONE knowing each other in one way or another.

5. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

That is a bit strange, makes New Orleans seem like Mayberry in size.

The thing that's starting to get on my nerves, and this is just purely a personal thing, is the fact that there is really no sustainable plot. If you're not really interested in New Orleans or that culture, chances are the show won't keep you watching.

But as a previous poster said, the acting is pretty good and their interaction on camera makes it easy to watch.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, he's easily surpassed Cheese in my book (not to mention Valchek and Clay Davis). May he get a bullet in the head from Slim Charles ...

7. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Guess nobody had much reaction to the season finale? Pretty good season overall. My wife gave up midway through. I enjoyed the languid pace, most of the characters, but mainly tuned in for the settings.

8. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Liked every episode except the last one. The flashback sequence was jarring and really out of place for a David Simon production. It also added nothing to the narrative. The amount of time spent on what the Indians were doing was ridiculous. In the end, nothing remotely interesting happened to them.

I'd say the Mardi Gras episode was the strongest of the lot. Really captured the romance of the day.

9. The Big Ragu

I had some problems with the season. The settings and the music and some of the characters were interesting, but there just wasn't enough payoff for me. The episodes lacked a cohesive plot and the protagonists and antagonists weren't defined well enough (which is amazing given that it is set in New Orleans post Katrina). Simon went for subtle and he didn't pull it off in my opinion. The comparisons to The Wire are too natural, and there was no Stringer Bell / Avon Barksdale / McNulty storyline to take you through the season. It really needed some more drama. This was a bunch of characters sort of meandering through life, and frankly some of the characters were annoying as hell. I need to rewatch the last episode, because I was a bit distracted during it. The only thing that mildly worked for me was the resolution with LaDonna burrying her brother. On the whole, though, I enjoyed the music a lot and thought the season did a good job with atmosphere, but it failed pretty miserably in plot and memorable characters, so it really was a mixed bag at best for me. I'm hoping he can save it in a Simonesque way in Season 2.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I think cops and crime will get a heavy treatment in Season 2. The crime didn't really start to come back until the spring and early summer of 2006. Season 1 ended in March 2006 (St. Joseph's Day is March 19). They wouldn't have dropped an actor like David Morse in for a scene or two in Season 1 if he wasn't going to be a major player in Season 2.

As for the flashback, I think they did that to show how much everyone lost in the storm. It showed that people like Antoine weren't always living hand-to-mouth. It also gave a little back story for Daymo, and proved that the good things his sister said about him were right (i.e., he was a mostly responsible guy who just got caught up in the system).

I also liked that people like Davis and the Burnette family were treating the approaching Katrina like it was no big deal --- "it'll veer off at the last minute." That's exactly what a lot of people from the Gulf Coast (including me) thought.

And Ragu, the antagonist was Hurricane Katrina, plain and simple.

11. The Big Ragu

Steak, Yeah. The antagonist was Katrina. But again, comparing this to The Wire, because David Simon is the reason I gave this a chance. .... In that series they didn't just state that Baltimore was a messed up city with institutions that let the people down. The series itself was a compelling representation of that, as it plowed through those institutions using great storylines to make the point and entertain an audience. The characters were memorable. The PLOT was riveting. The stories were great. The dialogue was memorable (although even though Treme has missed that for me, the music has acted as a dialogue of sorts and the music has been great).

Treme has obviously tried to do that, but for me it has failed. I already know that Katrina fucked up New Orleans. Using Katrina as the backdrop doesn't mean the series itself doesn't have to be more compelling and deliver something else.

What did this season of Treme do other than meander through hours of characters interacting (including some odd celebrity cameos sprinkled in for no reason), with Katrina as the backdrop? Many of those characters weren't even all that interesting and some were downright annoying. The plotlines were slow. It just missed something for me. This season was OK, but not great TV. I kept waiting for it to deliver something, and at the end I felt like I had invested a lot of time with too little payoff. Just a lot of slow plot that didn't get anywhere compelling enough to grab me. I hope Season 2 is better.

12. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I was disappointed in the John Goodman character denouement. From the minute I heard him give that student such a fucked up take on "The Awakening," it was obvious what was coming. (The Awakening was all the shit when I was an English major in the mid-to-late '70s. The heroine kills herself because she can't stand to live in the society she's trapped in, not because she's ascending to some new level of existence or something.)

The Goodman character has a wonderful daughter (who will have to live the rest of her life with what he did) and a hard-working, valiant wife who doesn't seem to mind that he weighs 400 pounds and sits around the house all day pretending to write a novel.
    Bigger asshole than Sonny, in my book.

Otherwise, as I said before, I kinda liked the meandering. And the music. I don't need people to be shooting each other every 5 minutes.

Draft saved Draft deleted