1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Treinta Días

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Jun 10, 2013.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

m/nfl/story/_/id/9360765/chad-johnson-serve-30-days-jail

Chad Johnson had a no jail time plea deal in place -- for head butting his wife (now ex wife). When the judge (a woman!) asked if he was happy with his attorney, he slapped his lawyer on the butt. Courtroom erupts in laughter. Judge gets pissed off and throws the plea deal aside. They slap the cuffs on and take him to jail.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Judge be a hater

3. The Big Ragu

You know something. ... Reading the story I was thinking he may be the biggest idiot who ever lived. But it made it sound MUCH worse than what it really was. Not smart. But that is one judge who could turn a parking ticket into a death sentence. Here is the video.

http://www.tmz.com/videos/0_uxpf4gr2

EDIT: Just reread what I wrote. ... I am not suggesting that hitting your wife is like a parking ticket. ... meant that the judge was tough.

4. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Judge overreacted.
    If the judge felt that strongly about the case, she should not have initially granted the plea agreement. Voiding it that way makes her look petty.
    Should Johnson have slapped the attorney's butt? No. But he didn't do it for comedic purposes.
    The judge should have admonished Johnson and the courtroom, including the sheriff's deputy who can't contain himself from laughing.
    Johnson didn't laugh. Johnson didn't say it was a joke. Johnson's not responsible for the actions of those in the gallery.
    Again, he shouldn't have slapped the lawyer's butt, but it's not like that's an unnatural response by an athlete.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Agree. I think the judge looks worse than he does in this.

6. The Big Ragu

Whoever looks worse, one walked out of the courtroom in handcuffs. And it wasn't her.

The takeaway here has to be, when you're being sentenced for a parole violation after a conviction for headbutting your wife (by a woman judge!), and you're about to walk out of the courtroom without any jail time, keep your eyes straight ahead and look contrite. Don't pat your attorney on the ass.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

He's an adult who sexually assaulted someone in a very public place in a very public manner. 30 days seems sufficient.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

He's not an athlete in the court room, he's a defendant and after he pled guilty he's a convicted criminal. Hes also apparently too stupid and ignorant to show common courtesy and civility in court. What he does or did for a living is irrelevant.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Great thead header, btw.

10. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

He wanted to be a clown. He wanted to make light of the proceedings and get a laugh out of everyone. He got the laugh, but that also was verging on contempt of court. You have to know that it is 100% out of bounds to show up a judge in the courtroom.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Something tells me if the cameras weren't in the courtroom, Johnson walks. The judge looks like a jackass.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Nah, I don't buy that.

He pulled out a Hall of Fame jacket like he scored a touchdown to make it 45-16 in the fourth quarter.

And he's there for breaking probation. After roughing up his now-ex-wife.

It's not Comedy Works.

Draft saved Draft deleted