1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tree stump removal

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Oct 12, 2008.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Anybody ever had this done? What did it cost?

Anybody ever done it yourself?

I've got a thick tree stump in my backyard that needs dealing with. I'm just starting to look online about stump grinders, but I'd prefer a pro do it. But I can't find anywhere that mentions price.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

This isn't something that's wise to do yourself.

Prices probably depend on demand and competition in your corner of the world, but again, I would not consider trying this yourself. Of course no one wants to pay out the nose, but there's too many blades and heavy equipment to make this a do-it-yourself project.

3. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Remove? You'll have to bring the mo fo down first.

[​IMG]

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

We had one in our yard. I believe our landscapers quoted $150, and suggested it was going to be very difficult to get out of the ground.

The next day we let the dog out... and when we went outside a few minutes later she was dragging the stump and roots around the yard with a very proud look on her face. Saved us $150. Good dog.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Awesome.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Of course, you had to find a pic with a Ram getting pancaked.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I laughed outloud... etc...

8. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Must've either been a small tree or a big dog.

I highly advise not trying to do this yourself, assuming we're talking about what was once a large tree.

10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

What's your definition of "thick?"

If the circumference is larger than, say, that of a volleyball, I'd leave this to a professional who knows how to operate that kind of equipment.

If you try to do it yourself, you'll do a lot of chopping and digging and a whole lot of swearing.

11. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

It's a former Oak tree, so it's several feet around. Any idea on roughly what a pro would charge? From reading online it looks like it might take several hours but I still haven't seen anything regarding price.

12. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I thought this was a thread about McCain trying to find a new running mate.

Draft saved Draft deleted