1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tree, forest, etc: APSE gets excited, writes strongly worded letter to NCAA

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Norrin Radd, Feb 21, 2013.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Quotes?

2. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

You're kidding, right? I mean, seriously?

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Not even in the ballpark of what I'm alluding to.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Thank you. Christ, this thread scares the shit out of me. Really, I understand that spending tons of money on travel to cover games might not be the best use of our resources, but readers want a local perspective from someone who know the ins and outs of the team. Most papers have started using stringers more often for road games, but to cover a beat you have to be around the team. I know AP has started sending team-specific gamers (eventually), but I can't believe we are arguing whether it is important to be at a game. Sure, we could just let ESPN.com and NBC cover all the angles, but I'm guessing if I'm a Butler fan they aren't going to give me all that I am looking for. Then we are stuck relying on the school's PR wing's slant on everything. No thanks.

And covering the teams as a business? Give me a break. Very few people really care about that shit. Unless they are doing something unsavory, and then your beat guy or business reporter should be able to dig that up.

We certainly need more good enterprise stories, and very few papers are doing that well these days because of space restrictions most places. But it is definitely a balance of the two that makes a good sports section.

5. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Apparently, the answer is:

"because newspapers."

Do they, now?

If newspapers disappeared, and fans of college and pro teams had to go to ESPN.com and the teams' official sites for their news, how much would they protest? Be honest, now.

And, tell me: why do you say this thread "scares the shit out of ME!!!!!!"? Is it because you know that the "who cares?" question is a valid one? Or is that some snotty attempt to say "OMG! OMG!! I can't believe these people think daily journalism isn't as relevant anymore!!!!!!"

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

No, the actual answer is, "local perspective." You can go ahead and get all your news from ESPN and CNN, but I'd rather not.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Bullshit.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

They'll care when their local team tries to cover something up, and there's nobody to report on it.

9. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

I have been asked why I am seldom serious here.

Among other reasons, it's because I don't like to hurt the feelings of the delusional.

Most fans are quite fine with their team covering up anything and everything, as long as it doesn't impede the process of achieving victory they can talk smack to their buddies about.

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Thinking fans of sports want a local perspective on their team is delusional? Really. Hmmm-kay! I really don't know where you are going with this, but it's pretty absurd.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

This is why the toy department can't have nice toys.

12. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

To further continue this line of discussion would only prove to be frustrating, as my attempts to educate would undoubtedly end in futility.

So here's a nice pat on the head, and some half-hearted well-wishes.

Draft saved Draft deleted