1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tree, forest, etc: APSE gets excited, writes strongly worded letter to NCAA

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Norrin Radd, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

At a lot of schools, getting players after games might be the only time all week you could talk to them.

What are you going to regurgitate if you don't have access?

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Four, if memory serves.

There's also an issue, if I understand it correctly, with limiting the number of tweets? Who comes up with that shit and who sits there and counts? You'd think they'd have better things to do.

3. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Wow, that's totally an appropriate comparison!

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Well, I just said in that post you quoted that "access is important." Therefore, I think access is important. I just don't think the access is being used correctly in many cases. I think something like the APSE letter can be used as a jumping-off point to reevaluate different ways of doing things. Some papers have been forced to do things differently, and they've succeeded in the short run. Maybe there's something to be learned by looking at ways to adjust and adapt instead of complaining that the sky is falling because we can't do things exactly like we used to.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Ya, that kind of thing sounds like micromanaging run amok.

6. Moderator1

STOP! STOP! STOP! THAT IS YOUR FIFTH TWEET SINCE THE PREVIOUS TIMEOUT! STOP! STOP! SECURITY!!!!!

Really?

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The NFL had a similar rule or at least they did as of 2008. I think you could post quarter summaries, but couldn't blog anything resembling play-by-play. I don't necessarily agree with the rule, but I don't know why anyone would want to blog play-by-play, although a lot of people do that on Twitter.

8. Moderator1

They're probably more sophisticated than that, though. You go over the tweet limit and you blow up or something. Whoa, where did he go?? OBEY THE TWEET RULES OR IT COULD BE YOU NEXT

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Is it worth it, though? Is talking to players valuable enough in 2013 to offset costs of covering beats the way we cover them?

We have to pay to travel.

We have to expend resources on being at the games, even home games.

We frequently soft-pedal stories because schools and teams hold the access hammer - this isn't an economic cost, but it's a cost in quality.

Maybe in 2013 it's still worth it. Will it be by 2033 or 2043? I'm skeptical.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

This is the NCAA we're talking about here.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I doubt it would be anything they would police, unless there was someone they wanted to make an example of... Still, it's an idiotic rule.

12. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

And the PGA Tour, unless they dropped their recently-wielded hammer.

Draft saved Draft deleted