1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Treat every microphone as if it were live, part one zillion

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Apr 20, 2009.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Bad: Making crude sexual remarks and throwing in a racist comment.
    Worse: Having it go out to people listening to your sprin football game over the internet.

The decidely NSFW audio can be found here.

2. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

Best part of that story is that after ISP it says (Internet Service Provider) which is not what ISP is. ISP actually is just hte name, followed by, America's Home for College Sports.

I think it used to stand for International Sports Properties or something like that, but it's the collegiate marketing operation for that and several other schools. They have several partnerships with Learfield and jointly own Alabama Crimson Tide Sports Property.

Other than that, this happens all the time. Bob Barry at Oklahoma was left hot on the OU network about 10 years ago and commented on some cheerleader's figures during a commercial break.

In 2007, the Nebraska PBP guy got fired after a boardop left the mic hot and he said "this is the worst effing defense I've ever seen". The entire network heard it.
  3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Truth is an absolute defense to libel.
  4. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

This is true, however, I believe the situation as "quit or be fired" and he decided to leave, but those of us in the media in Lincoln totally knew what really happened.
  5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I've often wondered, in this business, what the benefits of "leave on your own" is to anyone? For one thing, if you fucked up this publicly, everyone who would be doing the hiring would know it anyway if you are worried about your "never been fired" record and for another you can't collect unemployment or even sue the company if you walk away quietly.
  6. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

I don't necessarily think everyone would know about it. I mean, in the case in Nebraska, it only went out over the network, there weren't really stories about what he said, and the people I know in the broadcasting world were trying really hard to get him another job because he's a grade A sports play-by-play guy.

In the Oklahoma case.. Bob Barry will be at Oklahoma until he dies. There was a story about the incident in USA Today, though, which carries some stigma. I think the board-op was embarrassed more than anyone. She and I are good friends, and it's still the incident brought up during training at Learfield about the importance of both bringing the mic pot down AND putting it in cue. Sometimes the cue bleeds through, but if you bring it down, that can't happen.

That board-op just got married last weekend, and though I couldn't go, my parents did, so I told my dad he had to put a mention of it in her card. She's a good sport about it now.
  7. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

For Nebraska, wasn't that the game where the Huskers gave up 76 points to Kansas?

And THAT was the focus and not the Huskers' defense?!? :)
  8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Shouldn't it be "among several of its employees?" Isn't "between" the word for two and "among" the word for more than two? I always get that confused.

As for the topic, Wimp Sanderson is still the gold standard for this kind of thing. Those who know the story of his response to a question about Gene Bartow can attest to that.
  9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I've never visited Mississippi. Is this what people from Mississippi sound like? I couldn't take more than 30 seconds of listening - not because of anything they said being offensive, they just sounded like English is a second language.
  10. Grimace

Grimace Guest

"Fewer than 50 people heard the live webcast, according to Southern Miss athletic director Richard Giannini. The broadcast was only available to subscribers who pay $9.95 per month."

Wow. I don't even know where to begin.
  11. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

How about instead of "treat every microphone as if it were live," they try to "treat people of other races with dignity."
  12. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

The thing I find absolutely screaming hilarious about this is that only about 50 people nationwide were listening to the Internet feed. Or maybe that there were actually 50 people gullible enough to pay $9.95 for an internet feed of USM's spring game. Ah, my alma mater: Southern Miss To The ... somewhere in the mediocre middle of the pack.
Draft saved Draft deleted