1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Travis Johnson = Idiot of the Century

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chuck~Taylor, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Dear Guywhostolemyscreenname68,

There are countless quarterbacks who are smart enough not to mix it up, especially on interceptions, because they know how brittle they are. Marino comes to mind. I can't, for the life of me, ever recall Joe Montana attempting to make a tackle or a block during his entire career with the 49ers and Cheifs. And you constantly see defensive backs who won't tackle running backs unless they can jump on their backs. Deion made a career out of it, in fact.

But don't let your Trent Green boner get in the way of your Sunday viewing pleasure.

2. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Dear guywhosescreennameIunknowinglyinfringed upon:

Cut-blocking is a part of football, man. Offensive lineman do it. Tight ends do it. Running backs do it. You and those who agree with you are pissy about this because it was a QB who did the blocking, and the guy who was blocked bitched and moaned about it.

There wasn't intent to injure. Green was simply trying to free is running back in a perfectly legal manner. A freak matter of timing caused Green to get knocked cold and Johnson to get all upset because he thought he was a victim of a cheap shot.

Except he wasn't. The hit was legal. Part of football. This is an issue only because Travis Johnson stomped around and made a terrible Wizard of Oz reference. He who stomps around and makes the biggest fuss wins, I suppose.

But you keep making those boner references if it makes you happy.

3. I'm sorry but Green's block was a fuckup. You don't intentionally try to block a lineman with your head.

Johnson should have realized Green already paid the price for his mistake and walked away the bigger man - and not just the 200 pounds he had on Green.

4. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Careful now. Logic just don't go 'round here.

5. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

OK, so perhaps he should have gotten out his stethoscope and a CT scan and checked on the guy, then yelled at him?
    How was Johnson supposed to know that Green was unconscious? What is he, Dr. House? Green's block was cheap, and the guy who nearly lost his knee and -- everybody misses this -- nearly had his own 300 pounds fell on his own head/neck lost his cool. I've got zero problem with what Johnson did.
    Green's hit apparently was legal because it was behind the line. That doesn't mean Johnson doesn't have the right to be ticked.

6. boots

boots New Member

Maybe it's me, but I'm tired of the general board labeling. This guy is an "idiot" but he's playing professional ball and making more money than most along here will see in two lifetimes. But he's called an idiot for "taunting."
    An outsider would call what goes on these theads as taunting. Does that make the posters idiots?
    Just something to consider.

7. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

Garbage. The guy Sapp hit was Chad Clifton who is making millions as the Packers left tackle currently. And still cutting defensive linemen at the legs whenever it's appropriate. I loved the outpouring of rage from that goof Mike Sherman who got into it with Sapp after that play. And the dork Packers fans who hollered about Sapp's hit being a cheap shot. Never mind that those same idiots cheered wildly for one of the dirtiest, cheapest players in the league during that time - Packers center Frank Winters.

8. Well he was lying there, looking lifeless. But good thing he got that taunt in there for good measure - just in case Green was playing possum ... ::)

9. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Johnson had an opportunity after the game to show some class. Had he said something like this, everyone would comment what a good guy he is:

"I didn't like what Trent Green did to me, but you never want to see any football player carried off the field like that. I shouldn't have taunted him, but I was caught up in the moment and felt like he went after my knees. I still don't like it, but I sure hope he makes a quick recovery for his sake and his family's sake."

10. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

He ended up saying this

<i>"I apologize for going off like that," Johnson said. "As a D-lineman, when you have people going at your knees, it's tough on you mentally. But at the same time, I shouldn't have reacted like that. I'm sorry the penalty ended up leading to a score.

''I ended up hurting my team," Johnson said. ''I shouldn't have let my anger get to me. I apologized to coach Kub because I hurt my team. I should have kept my cool. But being in that situation, this is a game of controlled violence. Really, I let my anger get the best of me."</i>

My only issue is that if it were Johnson wincing in pain after tearing his knee on a cheap block no one would give a shit, but it's the precious quarterback getting hurt so it's a big deal. If Green does the normal QB thing and just tries to get in the guy's midsection no one gets hurt and everyone moves on.

Draft saved Draft deleted