1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Travis Johnson = Idiot of the Century

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chuck~Taylor, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

You pretty much summed it up for me, though I'm still not sure whether he should have taunted on the field, simply because you never want to cost your team 15 yards. Bottle it up, talk it out at another time.

2. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

And this invalidates my opinion how? Is there a quarterback playing in the NFL right now who hasn't done this? Is this even a story even Johnson doesn't react like a petulant 5-year-old?

We can debate the cheap angle all you like. What you can't debate is that the hit was legal. It happens ALL THE TIME. This is only a thread right now because of Green's concussion and Johnson's response.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Just to be clear...

Guy who put his helmet into another player's knee in a way that could have easily ended his career = totally cool.

Guy who said mean things to that player after he hurt himself in the process = biggest asshole in the world.

Frankly, I don't give a shit about what was "said." Nothing Johnson "said" could have ended Trent Green's career. All the rest is just phony moralizing.

The real fool here is the person who put Trent Green in any kind of position to be throwing blocks legal, illegal, cheap or other.

Cam Cameron, a nation turns its lonely eyes to you.

4. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I just can't believe that people are so pissed at Johnson. That block was bullshit.

Any quarterback who blindsides a defensive player in the knee is a fucking wuss. Those guys can't be touched, but they can cheap shot a guy who bangs against a 300-pounder every play? Bullshit.

Now that he's not paralyzed or anything, I say Fuck. Trent. Green.

What if Johnson couldn't pick up his children when he's 40? I hate blocks like that. No place for them in the game. From the blindside, be tough enough to hit someone up high or don't hit someone — be a kicker.

5. patchs

patchs Active Member

Perfect explanation. It was a broken play, Ginn fumbled the reverse, he had to chase the ball, so the defense went to the left side of the field, Ginn then went to the right, and Green tried to block someone, and being inexperienced, went too low with the block.
    Johnson had every right to be upset AT THE TIME, but his post-game spewage crossed the line.
    And his crap line about the scarecrow looking for courage, it was the lion, get your Oz shit straight.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Any quarterback who blindsides a defensive player in the knee is a fucking wuss.

Do you have a problem with linebackers, corners and safeties who launch themselves into receivers going over the middle for a catch? Are they fucking wusses?

Those guys can't be touched, but they can cheap shot a guy who bangs against a 300-pounder every play? Bullshit.

Ask Alex Smith if quarterbacks can't be touched.

7. Double Down

Maybe he watched that version where Michael Jackson was the scarecrow, Diana Ross was Dorothy, Nipsey Russell was the Tin Man, everyone was on drugs, and it confused him.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

On a side note, how do we feel about the Texans' PR flak trying to shut Johnson down in mid-rant?

9. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Lead with your shoulder.

That's always good, giver and getter, and no blame on anyone's part.

10. Double Down

And if you can't -- if you're worried you're going to dislocate your shoulder or give yourself a concusssion, or if you're, I don't know, 37 years old -- don't throw the block. Just get the hell out of the way. You're an old man.

11. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

When's the last time you saw any football player, young or old, -- hell ANY ATHLETE -- follow that bullshit logic you just spewed?

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

La la la, not paying attention to the NFL this year as part of my self-imposed blackout but in years past, it always seem that the defensive linemen are the first to go down the low road when they get the chance. Perhaps some recall when Warren Sapp rolled the Packers lineman and took him out for the season (career?) with a perfectly legal block on an interception return. Then Sapp laughed about it.
    Classy.
    The NFL is a vast wasteland of thugs and drug abusers, nothing good can come with following the lowlifes that inhabit the league.
    Just get away while you can.

Draft saved Draft deleted