1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Travis Johnson = Idiot of the Century

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chuck~Taylor, Oct 8, 2007.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I had no clue Johnson taunted Green. All I saw was the hit and the clip of Johnson saying he had respect for Trent Green then "Fuck Trent Green" or something to that effect.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Oh, for crying out loud. The NFL is nothing but guys hurtling themselves like missiles into other guys not looking. What game are you watching? Do D lineman wait until the qb is looking when they come from the blind side while the qb is in a throwing motion?

Trent Green should Be a man, and put your fucking shoulder into a guy's chest. Brilliant. That's exactly what a starting qb should be doing to a 300 pound lineman, else he's considered a "pussy".

Its like bizarro world.

3. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

OK, first of all, you're saying Green thought, "You know, I should put my helmet straight on his knee!" I think Green was going for a block at the knees and was unlucky to get Johnson's knee to Green's helmet.

Second, if it was a cheap shot, why no flag? If it was within the rules, what's the problem?

Be a man and put your shoulder to his chest? I think according to the laws of physics, for Green, it's not only impossible but a really bad idea also.

Green has made plenty of downfield blocks before. I remember one year, KC scored on a reverse, and Green slammed some DB to the grass with a killer (and I guess you could say manly) block.

Finally, if Green throws a pick and is chasing the guy with the ball, are you saying Johnson wouldn't salivate at the opportunity to blindside him and essentially kill him?

Johnson is a fucking cocksucker who will get his one day. I can only hope when someone pops him and he's lying unconscious, the guy who hits him is standing over him with concern in his face and tears in his eyes instead of acting like Motherfucking Pussy Ass Bitch Cocklicker of the Year and taunting an unconscious person.

4. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Green's explanation makes sense. The only way he can block a D-lineman effectively is to go low. He went too low, which isn't surprising since he's a QB and doesn't really know what he's doing. It was a dangerous play, but not an intentionally dirty one. Maybe Johnson gets a pass for getting upset in the heat of the moment -- that kind of hit can end a career -- but to say Fuck Trent Green after seeing the guy carried off on a stretcher is beyond pathetic.

5. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

I think many d-linemen would instinctively react the same way as Johnson did. He's very lucky he didn't break a leg.

With that said, Green did nothing against the rules. But they have to go into the rulebook and fix this ASAP.

6. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

There is no way in hell that Green's block should be legal.

I probably wouldn't have done what Johnson did, but I don't blame him. You shouldn't block someone like that. You just shouldn't. No one should, but especially quarterbacks, who you can't touch with a 10-foot pole.

7. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Green's block was a cheap one, but I'm sure Green didn't mean it. Everything in football happens so fast and Green was just going for a crack block. Usually when you throw a crack block, you go for the chest. But when Green saw how big the guy was, he knew he couldn't take him down so he just ducked.
    But see here's the thing, it dosn't matter if Green's block was a cheap one. You don't go over to a motionless(where only about a month removed from the Kevin Everett injury) body and taunt like that. It's like you're saying "Yes you're paralyzed! That's what you get for going for my knee!".

8. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

Those blocks are legal, but they shouldn't be. If you're gonna blind side a guy, hit him in the chest.
    Every d-lineman would salivate at the chance to clobber Trent Green off of a pick. But every one of them would hit him above the belt.

9. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Exactly. It's fucking legal. Green did the same thing in KC numerous times on reverses, etc. In fact, in the season-ending game against Cincy two years ago, he threw a similar block to spring Johnson on a TD when he reversed field.

These blocks happen all the damn time. Hell, Denver's made a living cut-blocking people. How the fuck do you think every RB that goes through there picks up 1,000 yards?

Johnson got taken out of the play by a quarterback. His ego was bruised. Boo-fucking-hoo.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I agree. I thought it was a dirty block even if Green didn't intend it.

Johnson should have exercised more tact, but if someone pulled that shit on me, I'm not so sure how I'd react either.

11. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Do you seriously think he was trying to put his head in front of his knee? Seriously? Wow. I'm sure his intention was to make Johnson trip over him, not use his head as a soccer ball for Johnson to knee like Pele.

I say again: It's a legal fucking hit. Always has been. You can go low, so long as it's not from behind. I bet Travis Johnson has known this for years... and I bet ol Trav has been cut a time or two himself.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

It should be noted that DD68 has had a hard-on for Trent Green since his K.C. days. Carry on.

Draft saved Draft deleted