1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Travis Barker critically injured

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PeteyPirate, Sep 20, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Barker is one of the most incredile drummer in punk rock. He took Scott Reynor's place in Blink 182, debuting on Enema of the State -- right after the band got its first national play (off Dude Ranch). He's also done work with The Aquabats, BoxCar Racer (with Tom Delonge, of Blink 182), The Transplants and +44 (with Mark Hoppus, of Blink 182).

Barker's incredible quick and solid with the kit. The last two times I saw Blink live, he did a two-minute solo while spinning in the air -- a la Tommy Lee (
    ) -- and he never missed a beat. He was the silent one in Blink 182, the one who strayed from all the dick and fart jokes (thank God).

And he had a sense of humor, too:

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Is that possible?

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Whatttt?

In light of what happened to the man, I will not tear your musical tastes a new asshole.

4. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

David Crosby could be a reliable source.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Damn. Fingers crossed.

DJ AM spun at one party I was at. And I always thought Travis was a really sarcastic, funny, awesome guy whose tattoos would turn others away from seeing his personality.

Good luck to both.

6. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Simon_Cowbell, an unqualified asshole.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

http://www.tmz.com/

The last update was about a half-hour ago. One of the dead is Barker's assistant, who was recently married with a new baby.

8. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Travis Barker did some amazing things remixing bad Soulja Boy and Flo Rida songs.

(NSFW - "Crank Dat" remix)

(NSFW - "Low" remix)

9. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Travis used to live in my town. My son went trick or treating to his house once. Travis gave out his autograph to each kid and (I think) a toothbrush or something like that.

I don't listen to Blink-182, but any semi-famous guy who'd hang around his house on Halloween so kids could get his autograph is OK by me. Hang in there, Travis!

10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

The story gets worse. Travis Barker's assistant's wife was about to give birth. That's why they were flying on the Learjet. From TMZ:
    Tragic Twist In Jet Crash -- Why They Flew

Travis Barker's assistant wanted to get home in time for his pregnant wife to give birth.

We've now learned why Barker and his friends decided to get on that doomed Learjet in South Carolina late last night, and the explanation can only be described as a horribly cruel twist of fate.

It all started some time yesterday, when Barker's assistant, Chris Baker, told the guys that his wife was going into labor. Barker told him that he would do everything in his power to get Baker back to the hospital in time.

http://www.tmz.com/2008/09/20/tragic-twist-in-jet-crash-why-they-flew/

11. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

That is freaking awful.

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

After seeing him play three times, and listening to his chops almost 10 albums, I can safely say that he's in my top five current drummers in the genre.

Draft saved Draft deleted