1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

traveling abroad alone

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I'd go for this, but my biggest question is -- how in the hell would somebody not rich, at least on a journalist's salary -- afford to travel abroad alone for weeks or months at a time? What kind of job lets you do that and come back?

Or is this just a retreat for the wealthy?

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/08/13/women.traveling.alone/index.html?hpt=C2

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Some of them are retired. Some may be living off a trust fund. Some may be self-employed. Some may have been laid off and decided to take a break. You don't have to be wealthy.

It's not a big deal.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

A woman should always travel with a companion.

4. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

No, that's not an absolute.
    Not at all.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

there are a hell of a lot of women that would be fine travelling alone.

6. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Should, maybe, but I've safely circled the globe. it can be done.

7. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

There are a couple of solo women on the group tour of New England I've been with all week.

One is from Greece, a foodie translator who also works in TV and is obsessed with taking the perfect photo. Another is a very sweet little old lady... I think, from Florida.

I guess they're not technically alone, since they're part of our tour. But they've gone off by themselves during free time, and eaten meals by themselves. If no one bats an eye at Daniel, the retired Navy man from Louisiana who's by himself, why should anyone worry more about the women traveling alone?

To go a bit off topic, I'm quite jealous of an Aussie couple who are going around the world in 10 weeks. They started in Europe -- London, Paris, Prague, Vienna -- and they're heading to San Francisco after this tour ends.

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Keep up. This is about a broad travelling alone. Different kettle of fish. ;)

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Fish don't travel alone. They travel in schools.

Draft saved Draft deleted