1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Travel question -- Barcelona

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Mar 7, 2011.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

My girlfriend and I are very seriously considering 4 nights in Barcelona at the end of this month or the beginning of April. I have never been.

Has anyone visited there, and if so, any tips or things that stood out?

I speak a little Spanish (understand it well, speak it kind of poorly). I don't speak Catalan, but I think I might be able to follow along.

Is there anything we need to know, and anything we shouldn't miss? For lodging, we kind of like to do bed & breakfast places over hotels in Europe.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

The Sagrada Familia is a must-see, and I had a lot of fun just wandering around the Ramblas area. There are nice views if you take the funicular up Montjuic.

Enjoy - Barcelona is beautiful. I'd love to go back. And the weather should be nice then, too.

3. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Barcelona is quite nice. You have to go to the Temple La Grada Familia (yours truly got it on in one of the steeples).

Food/drink: they do dinner on the late side. I'm a fan of Bar Mut.

La Rambla is a massive city center with a lot of shops. Gets seedier the closer you get to the water.

4. The Big Ragu

Thanks guys. I am making a list. I really think we are going to pull the trigger and find the time for this one.

One question I had. Do more people speak Catalan? Do they get insulted if you try to speak Spanish? I can't find a good answer to that.

5. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

They're a patient people there. They won't be insulted by it. When you see someone at a restaurant or hotel or wherever in the hospitality biz wearing a US or GB flag lapel pin, they speak English.

6. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

If you're going in early April and have any interest in world-class soccer, you might catch FC Barcelona in a UEFA Champions League quarterfinal at Camp Nou, depending on the schedule.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

THE HELL HE WILL. [/arsenalfanboi]

8. The Big Ragu

MM, I am not a huge soccer fan, but if I have a bucket list, it includes seeing a top league European game, and FC Barcelona would qualify. When I was in Rome last year, it was something I wanted, but we never got it happen. In fact, we met some guy who started telling me all about AC Roma and how they were the greatest invention since the New York Yankees and we had this really interesting discussion about sports. That is an excellent idea. We'd both enjoy it too.

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

We went a few years back. Loved it -- a great walking city. We bought a tourist guide with walking tours -- the Gaudi buildings, Las Ramblas, Placa Reial.

Had a great meal at Els Quatre Gats (if it is still open).

10. ringer

ringer Active Member

Barcelona is a fantastic travel choice. I was there for a swimming world championship a while ago. Make sure to check out the beaches, and definitely the Ramblas, Segrada Familia, the Gaudi park... You might want to read a book about Gaudi before you go (his work is everywhere) as is a lot of modern art (i.e. Miro). While you're there, try to get on the Spanish timetable to fully appreciate all that goes on. (They eat dinner at about 10 pm...etc). Also, as the host city for the 1992 Olympics, some of the venues are kind of cool. (i.e. Montjuic)

HAVE AN AMAZING TIME! You won't regret it

11. The Big Ragu

Thanks guys. Webster, you just helped a lot. Walking cities are exactly what we like best. I have read a little, but when we do these trips, we usually make preparations last minute and go in somewhat blind. Then explore and do a lot of hoofing. If things are walkable and there is a decent subway or metro system, it is ideal.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Barcelona transit is just fine. I echo what everyone said here, was there for '92 Olympics and loved the place. The advice about getting on the local body clock schedule was excellent.

Draft saved Draft deleted