1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Travel cutbacks?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by micke77, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Yeah, but it's worse than it was.

Cycle largely used to run until you were approaching 65 . . . or decided to retire with what you regarded as a sufficient pile, earlier.

Now, thanks to the drooling pronouncements of public brainsurgeons like Andy Grove,
    you're a prime target to get taken down and out at fifty, to be replaced by someone
    one-third younger, with half the experience and ten percent of the institutional memory.

The end result isn't pretty, for anyone except those in their golden bubbles at the top.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

WFW, Ben.

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I'll agree with that, Ben.

It's a different era of business and, in some cases, getting screwed. None of it is fun, easy to handle or desirable after putting in your time and then getting shown the door.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I have this image of John O'Connor standing at the intersection of Patterson and Libbie with his thumb out, trying to hitch a ride downtown to cover the Three Chopt Tech-Franklin Street Institute for the Aging Hippies basketball game ...

That will teach him to miss the Westhampton No. 6 bus.

5. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I posed this question earlier and now that it has arrived I am wondering if anyone can fill me in -- how many people did each of the major metros which regularly cover the two teams in the Super Bowl send to this year's Super Bowl?

It doesn't seem like any of them held back, though I could be wrong.

Does anyone know how many each of them sent?

6. micke77

micke77 Member

has anyone heard about any major cutbacks by media outlets for covering the Super Bowl?
    and particularly those from Pennsylvania and Arizona?

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

You might want to check the "Hartford and AJC aren't covering the Super Bowl" thread.

8. micke77

micke77 Member

gotcha..thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted