1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Travel/City help: Amarillo

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by KJIM, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

And if you don't finish, its costs $72. I went there last winter when I was passing through Amarillo. Some guy tried the challenge while I was there and they made a huge production of it in the restaurant. He got through 59 ounces before he ralphed.

The food was outstanding (and very reasonable for a steakhouse). I had an 18-ounce steak with baked potato, salad, bread and a 24-ounce beer, and was out of there for less than $30 with tip. I can't imagine trying to eat four times that much.

The Cadillac Ranch is also just outside of town, in a field next to the I-40 service road. It's just nine old Cadillacs buried nose-down in the dirt, but it's an interesting piece of roadside Americana.

It's been said of Amarillo that there is nothing between there and the North Pole but a barbed-wire fence. I don't know about that, but I do know that the wind often blows so hard there that you can barely keep your eyes open.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I passed through Amarillo once about 15 years ago (didn't stop). My impression was that it was an overgrown small town, and that's not a bad thing.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

If you're in that area, pick me up some Leal's salsa.

5. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

The Big Tex holds a special place in my heart, while passing through Amarillo on our way back from vacationing in Colorado Mrs Gibbons and I stopped to eat at the Tex. My wife who was a vegetarian when we first started dating in college ate her first steak there since she decided to become a vegetarian in high school sometime before we had met.
    It had taken me 8 years to turn her from a strict vegetarian to eating chicken and then finally the holy grail of carnivores, the filet mignon. I think I may have began to tear up during that meal, but it was a great night! It must have been a pretty good steak, because she's still eating beef on a regular basis, now if I could just get her to quit ordering it med-well or well done!

Also, if you go to Cadillac Ranch take you a can of spray paint and put your own tag on one of the cars.

Draft saved Draft deleted