1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Travel Alert: Do Not plan a trip to Toronto the weekend of June 25-27

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Mar 24, 2010.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Because the G20 is holding a meeting here and security will be so tight it'll make the border seem like a free entry zone.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/torontog20summit/article/784285--g20-summit-security-to-be-massive?bn=1#article

The Olympics that you saw recently in Vancouver was actually the largest security event ever to take place here in Canada. The G20/G8 surpasses that completely,” Boltuc said. “There’s going to be a massive — absolutely massive — presence of police and security on the ground like you’ve never seen before.”

Boltuc explained that two fenced security perimeters will encircle the summit site, which is the Metro Toronto Convention Centre on Front St. W.

Ten foot high fences blocking off the core downtown area.

Just to make things even more interesting, the Phillies are in town that weekend. It'll be Doc Halladay's first time back to Toronto since he signed and there'll probably be 40,000 people heading for that game.

HC & I won't be going

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I'm sure the Jays will love that. I'll be watching those games on TV.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Are they just touring once-proud baseball cities?

Look out Kansas City.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I remember when they held it in Pittsburgh last year watching Nightly News and seeing downtown basically on military lockdown. Was strange.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

And the Phillies, who are at Toronto that weekend.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

As long as they don't fence off the torch. It should be accessible to everyone.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Pittsburgh and Kansas City were once proud baseball cities?

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Nicely done.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Democracy in action, ladies and gentlemen.

And if the leaders of the so-called free world can't get together without being protected from the unwashed masses by fences, guns and other extreme security measures, dammit, the terrorists have won.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Stink enough for a couple of decades and everybody forgets.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I thought that was just to protect women from Big Ben.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

MLB may adjust the Jays' sked to avoid a whole load of argy bargy with the G20. I'd got to a day/night doubleheader, used to love those back in the day.

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/baseball/2010/03/24/13349616.html

Draft saved Draft deleted