1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Travel advice requested ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Here me roar

Here me roar Guest

St. George is really nice. Very laid back. Isle of Palms is, too. And much more to see/do in the Charleston area.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Hahahah I actually had this talk with my mom yesterday regarding a "hypothetical" situation that never mentioned either of them. I acted really pissed and was like "You would think that if someone put in the time and effort to do something really nice for you, even if there might be one part that might not be your favorite thing, you would still appreciate what went into it, right???" And she's like "Most people would, yes. Some people wouldn't, like your dad." (there's some bitterness there, which I'm also hoping to heal by getting them away from their daily lives for a bit).

That's my big fear, that I'll do this hoping that by already paying for it and basically getting them to the airport without telling them where we're going or even that we're going to the airport, that he'll swallow his pride and go. But part of me knows he'll just bitch and moan and maybe take a cab back to his car and drive back to KY from GA and leave my mom there. My dad ... he's a party and a half.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

PS the "one part that might not be your favorite thing" would be the flight. My mom and I flew to Chicago for a cousin's wedding once. My aunt paid for the flights. It was like an hour and a half flight. My mom was a freaked-out mess.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Puerto Rico might be a cheaper option than Hawaii. And it can be pretty nice / different, depending on how you do it, and what you are interested in. There is a lot of history, which appeals to me. You can do some pretty cool walking tours around San Juan and Old San Juan and learn a lot.

One way to go might be a resort -- such as one of the ones in Luquillo, although you have many options closer to San Juan. I am not a resort type person, but I did that once. I actually ended up spending little time in the resort, because I find laying around boring, so in that regard it wasn't the best kind of vacation for me.

But a lot of people like those resorts a lot, and what Puerto Rico offers, if you take advantage of it, is that you can mix in time away from the resort and there are a lot of options to make the vacation fun. With a car, you can check out El Yunque, the only rainforest in the U.S. I am not sure how easy it would be for your parents based on your description, but it is not difficult hiking, and you can do it in a leisurely way, and you see wild vegetation and birds and animals you have never seen. And you can drive around the Island to Old San Juan, which I find an amazing place to spend time. Whether it is just finding a small bar to drink with locals or shopping or checking out El Morro or Calle del Cristo or Fort San Cristobal for a really good historical walking tour, it's hard to get bored there.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I can't recommend the Big Island of Hawaii enough. Spend a few days there, a few on Oahu, maybe a day or two on Maui or Kauai. You'll get great beaches, great shopping, you can see some amazing natural sights without having to do a lot of walking (hell, you can drive up and park at Kilauea). Oh, and it'll be 85 degrees with moderate humidity every day. It's perfect for what you want.

If you decide on Hawaii, hit me up for some tips.

6. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Going to Puerto Rico maybe the best option here. There are other places than San Juan there and it's closer to the mainland than Hawaii. No passport needed. Plenty of beaches and/or resorts. I know you say they can take meds to get them to Hawaii, that's still a LONG flight. Flights are usually less expensive and if something should happen that you need to get home, there are more flights and options to get back.

That would be my vote.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I stand corrected.

So another suggestion: Catalina.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Almost 2 full pages, and no one has said Reno.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Or Tahoe.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Depending on how "late" we consider "late summer," places like Block Island, Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard become options as well. "Shoulder" season (before Memorial Day; after Labor Day) is a great bargain, and in early/mid-September the water's still warm enough to swim. And fewer people.

You've got the beaches in North Carolina to consider, too, along with Savannah, Charleston, Myrtle Beach.

What about a cruise?

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

It's really not off the mainland but Sanibel Island in Florida is amazing. Find a house or hotel/motel on the water on West Gulf Road. Water's warm, beach is great, enough places to eat to keep you busy for a week and if you really, really need major shopping Fort Myers is just across the causeway.

Been to Sanibel three times for family reunions and it gets better every time. Stayed at the West Winds Inn. Nice pool, small poolside bar, comfortable rooms with kitchens 50 yards from the water. It's not the Ritz or the Plaza but it worked just fine and it's very reasonably priced.

12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

As far as cruises go (Azrael beat me to the punch), you could consider a Mississippi steamboat cruise, which would not require a passport. My dad wants to do that someday.

Draft saved Draft deleted