1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Travel advice requested ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Apr 1, 2013.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

1. Because we don't have passports and I can't have them get one without having to tell them why.

2. Because they've been to Florida and California.

3. Because they can get valium for a seven-hour flight.

4. I went to Jekyll Island in high school. The highlight of our trip was the Denny's attached to our hotel. I need say no more.

While I appreciate the replies, it appears very few people actually read the requirements/why I was asking. :(

2. imjustagirl

5. I forgot this part: My dad wouldn't go to Mexico. Ever. He's a crotchety old bastard, but he's my dad.

3. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

We must be sisters.

4. imjustagirl

Thank god. I've always wanted one. :D

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I would 2nd Yank Fan's suggestion of Arizona then. Scottsdale area is great and you should get good value at that time of year at the major resorts. Caveat is that it's hot. You could also head up to the mountains of Sedona which is beautiful and cooler. Also the Grand Canyon which is an easy 2 hour drive from Scottsdale. I think everyone at some point in the life needs to see the Grand Canyon. Just a stunning place in person.

Florida is nice but with hurricane season you'll be watching the weather before you go and when you're there. It's a roll of the dice that could turn out great or turn into a delayed or shortened trip.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Jamaica fits your requirements.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Here's a place I'd like to go that should be beautiful that time of year: Isle of Palms, a barrier island 12 miles east of Charleston, SC, you get the "best of both worlds scenario" -- dining, shopping and stuff to do in Charleston plus lazy, uncrowded beaches. For a full week, the folks are going to need stuff to do, I think.

8. imjustagirl

Except for that pesky passport thing. Unless something's changed.

cran, that might be a very strong option. I LOVE Charleston and I don't know that my folks have ever been. I just kind of wanted to do something for them they'd never do for themselves, you know? That's what led me to an island setting. Because they'll never have the money/inclination to go to San Juan or St. John or Hawaii. They haven't been on a vacation in decades, and my mom works two jobs. I just ... want to do something huge for them.

9. cranberry

I'm also pretty close to the right age demographic for your parents. It's not like they're ancient. They'll need some activity.

10. imjustagirl

They're not. But my dad's on 17 types of medication, has a lot of heart trouble and has recently had a VERY bad hip that 8 trips to the VA has not solved. So not a LOT of walking for him.

My mom and I can shop while my dad lies around and enjoys the weather. That's pretty much how it will go.

11. cranberry

There's something to be said for laying around.

12. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

Whatever you end up doing IJAG, this is a really, really nice thing that you are doing. I am guessing that they will tell you it isn't necessary...

Do it anyway*

*I am sure you will. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted