1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Travel advice requested ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Apr 1, 2013.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

St. John is as quiet and laid back as you can get, but as Boom said, you are rolling the dice with hurricanes with the entire Atlantic Coast that time of year.

Jekyll Island is very remote and very quiet and no plane would be involved.

http://www.jekyllisland.com/stay/

The Florida ideas would interest me as well.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Sounds nice but you might be in a hurricane. If you went last year at end of August you would have enjoyed Issac which folks will recall delayed Republican convention.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

My eyes, they burn! I'll never unsee that Speedo!

4. Quiet Man

Quiet Man Active Member

Pensacola. You're welcome.

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I would choose St. John. It's a quiet, beautiful island with some great beaches.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

If they don't like flying, how is the flight from Kentucky to Hawaii acceptable?

Also, where farther was anyone going to suggest that they could go without a passport? Guam?

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Hawaii seems effortful, but Kauai may be the most beautiful place on earth.

That said, places like Santa Barbara, San Diego or La Jolla in California might make more sense.

Easiest of all would be Florida. And with the same disclaimers about hurricanes, I'd consider the Florida Keys.

Has anybody asked why no passports? You'd open up Mexico then.

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I think American Samoa would be the farthest you could go w/o passport.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The sands on the beaches in La Jolla is the softest most beautiful sand I've ever been on.

He's correct again on Santa Barbara, and if you do go there take the hour drive to Santa Maria for tri-tip BBQ. Best meat I've ever eaten. Plus there are some cool sightseeing spots in that area -- butterfly grove in Pismo Beach to name one. http://www.monarchbutterfly.org/

10. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Panhandle native here and I will happily second this.

Yes, there's a slim chance for a hurricane, but at least if you were on St. George, you could easily evacuate and head inland.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Does it have to be "tropical"?

Plenty of gorgeous resorts, with big pools to lounge around in Arizona, or even Vegas.

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I second the Florida Gulf Coast. St. George is very nice and relaxing. Destin has tons of shopping and is cheap and generally teen free.

Draft saved Draft deleted