1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Travel advice needed: Smoky Mountains

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bob Cook, Jan 11, 2009.

1. tadwriter

tadwriter Member

This is for real. Watch out for two things on the mountain roads while driving:

First-Slow down. At any blind curve you may suddenly find an hour's worth of traffic stopped in front of you due to bears lounging in the road. Troopers monitor the roads as best they can to keep them clear, but when the bears decide to cross the road or stop and watch the tourists, the road belongs to them. And whatever you do, DON'T try to feed them from the car window or get out to throw them food. Keep your windows up and just enjoy the view.

Second-When the signs say "SLOW-AREAS OF FOG AHEAD", believe it. I have driven all over the USA and this is the most dangerous area I have seen when driving in fog. Also, the fog can set in on you in what seems like only seconds. It doesn't always build up slowly.

2. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Also, don't put meat scraps out in your chalet's small trash cans, because the fucking bears WILL come a-knockin'. I went outside one night to get some fresh air and had one of those experiences that, in retrospect, left me wondering how I didn't shit my pants.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Pigeon Forge. WORST TRAFFIC EVER.

Gatlinberg, is there any piece of garbage you can't buy in a store there? I bought like 15 obscure sports pennants last time I went down.

4. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

Asheville, NC. Thank me later. Stay at least one night at the Biltmore or take the tour. Women will love you.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Really? Do you have to take them as well? Does it cost extra?

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Did you at least shart?

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I couldn't believe how much it cost to visit the Biltmore mansion. $48 per person. $192 for the car.

8. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

There are cheaper tickets. And the women will love you.

9. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Biltmore is insanely expensive, but probably worth paying once (I won't do it again, though). Asheville is a great little mountain town full of hippies. An entirely different experience than Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge, so it depends on what you're looking for in a vacation.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

This time of year, there are.

11. Grimace

Grimace Guest

Gatlinburg is something to be experienced. I walked around there thinking, "This is why the terrorists hate us." So much gluttony.

Although, I must say, bacon cooked in the waffle is freakin' genius.

I've been there about four times in the last five years. If you can ignore the jean shorts and yokels, it's great. Definitely find time to white water rafting. That was a blast.

And definitely go for the cabins.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Thanks for all of your advice, everybody. Please feel free to keep sharing.

Draft saved Draft deleted