1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Travel Advice: Maine

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I am not that familiar with Portland, but Acadia is IMO the most beautiful national park east of the Rockies and one of the top five period.

Vombatus likes this.
  2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I really wanted to go, but at that point in my trip, I had driven from Richmond to Baltimore to Cooperstown to Stowe to Manchester to Portland and was just ready to settle down for a couple of days. Acadia is a good three hours up the road. If (when) I go back, I'll probably fly to Boston and rent a car, and Acadia is No. 1 on the list.

3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

To add to the chorus... Portland has an awesome restaurant scene. You can't really go wrong just from the Yelp ratings, depending on what cuisine you might want on a certain night. Obviously, the lobster and seafood are going to be better than what you likely can get from back home. My fiancee's favorite beer is the Gunner's Daughter (a peanut butter stout) from Mast Landing, which is in Westbrook, about 15 minutes outside of Portland. Stuff like OOB (Old Orchard Beach) is also fun, since I think they have a boardwalk and shops, if you have your partner or little ones with you.

4. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

I'm a York/Wells guy...terrific beaches.
    If you're looking for a great seafood shack...Fishermen's Catch in Wells. Best seafood feed I've done. Favorites of the Bushes, too.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Thurston Lobster Pound

6. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Isn't Wells on the way to Ogunquit?

7. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Seafood shacks have become so expensive. It is a little disconcerting when it is mostly fried food or a hot dog bun filled with a few ounces of seafood.

Smallpotatoes and wicked like this.
  8. terrier

If you're heading south, it is. The Wells-Ogunquit corner on Route 1 can have nasty traffic on a nice day.

Regan MacNeil likes this.
  9. terrier

Why I don't do seafood that often. It's probably been about 10 years since my last visit, but the former Mrs. T. and I split a fisherman's platter for about $28 (sure it's gone up since) and we both had plenty to eat.

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I've been going to York since I was a baby. Love it. Nubble Light is my favorite place on Earth. Bob's Clam Hut on Route 1 in Kittery, next to the Kittery Trading Post is pretty good.

For burgers, I like Wild Willy's in York, also on Route 1.

11. Pony_Express

Pony_Express Member

Anyone mention Fore Street Grille in downtown Portland? One of the best restaurants I have ever been to.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Maine was incredible. Thanks to all for the recommendations! Already can’t wait to get back, especially after coming home to 110 degree heat index.

garrow likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted