1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Travel advice: Don't go there

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ace, May 21, 2015.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Yeah, the beach cities are fine. Napa is fine. I think we're talking the bigger cities though.

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Original Dreamland bbq is a reason to stop in Birmingham. Wouldn't plan a whole trip there around it thought.

Houston: Johnson Space Center, home of one of three remaining Saturn V rockets. I've seen the other two. Need to complete the set. The Astrodome is worth seeing. Not sure what else there is to do for visitors in Houston, though it is not far from Gulf Coast beaches.

Filenotfound, what do have against Altanta? It's not New York, sure, but there's plenty to do.

3. RecoveringJournalist

I thought the original Dreamland was in Tuscaloosa. Love both places, but the one in Tuscaloosa is better, IMO.

You can find positives in almost any city. I used to have to go to Atlanta all the time and I always liked it.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

It is. Everything other than the one off Jug Factory Road in Tuscaloosa is a franchise and not affiliated with the Bishop family. The original serves only ribs, sauce, white bread, beer, tea, soda and banana pudding.

5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Once you've read the roadside sign about Clyde W. Tombaugh, there's not much more to do in Burdett, Kansas.

Jake_Taylor likes this.
  6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

6th-biggest city in California.

7. RecoveringJournalist

Fresno is fifth. I still don't want to vacation there. :D

Songbird and LongTimeListener like this.
  8. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I hear Compton talked about in all those rap songs. I bet it's nice. Those rappers are rich, ya know?

Songbird and expendable like this.
  9. RecoveringJournalist

Yeah, it's great. So is East Palo Alto. :D

Songbird likes this.
  10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Is there a joke I'm missing? Napa isn't even in the top 100.
    Nevermind, just read your original post

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I will say for San Fran, you have to go with a plan and know what you want to see/do. The City is crowded, but there are plenty of nice spots that don't cost so much and is fun to visit. The times I've gone there with friends who knew the city, I discover things I never knew were there.

Other than that, LA is a shithole, San Jose is boring if you don't live in the South Bay and I won't even begin with Oakland. Outside of San Diego, the best spots in California are actually away from the big cities, strangely enough.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I thought Dreamland was enormously overrated. I've found better BBQ in New York.

Draft saved Draft deleted