1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Travel advice: Don't go there

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ace, May 21, 2015.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I don't know that I would want to go anywhere in Mexico unless you're dealing with an all-inclusive resort. I had to go to an island near Cancun for a friend's wedding and it was a pretty awful experience. Hotel rooms were broken into, cars were stolen, people were mugged.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say it's completely a "don't go there," but San Francisco nowadays is too expensive, too crowded and too techie to be anywhere near what it used to be.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

San Fran will likely always be on my "Man. I'd really like to spend some time there, but.....mehhhhh" list. I'll just never get around to going for one reason or another. Weird.

4. RecoveringJournalist

So, we should go to Oakland instead? :D

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I went to Cancun, and enjoyed it, many years ago. But the taxi cab drivers scared the shit out of me. Traffic laws weren't necessarily adhered to.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

We've never been interested in going "downtown" in Cancun. The place we stay has like 5 sister resorts and if we want to visit one of those (for different restaurants, shops, etc), we can take a free resort shuttle to and from. Very easy, very safe. But we typically just stay on our property. It has everything we need. Nice and simple.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Loved Pittsburgh.

Winnipeg is the armpit of Canada.

8. RecoveringJournalist

What big city in California, other than San Diego, is worth visiting? My last visit to San Francisco was exactly as LTL described. I still like going to LA and San Jose, but I don't know if I would do it if it work wasn't paying for it.

9. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

JC likes this.
  10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I'm not wild about DC in the summer. Way too hot to be walking around sight-seeing amongst all that concrete.

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

We spent 4 days in Playa del Carmen last year, not at a resort, and absolutely loved it. We stayed mostly in the touristy areas, so that probably helped, but we never felt unsafe. Best vacation of my life.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Long Beach.

Draft saved Draft deleted