1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Transitioning to new job/career

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jay Sherman, Jan 12, 2009.

1. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

No, but Renaissance Faires are a doozy.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Lost ya here, mate. Are you looking for a journalism job? Or looking to move FROM journalism into something else?

As for experience, I put everything, including volunteer stuff, which was sometimes more impressive than actual paid jobs.

When I was that age, I listed working as press box volunteer help, stringing for TV broadcasts, freelance writing, whatever you got. As you get older, you can always drop off stuff you don't think as highly of.

3. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

I'm looking to move into a non-sports job, I guess. Something with better pay and better hours.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Hmmmm... got my first post-collegiate job just a few days short of my 23rd birthday. I remember the ME flipping out when she found out I was 22 and had me go see human resources for some reason (child labor laws?). Made $14,500 per year. The again, gas was less than a buck a gallon. Aw, the good ole days.

Seriously, if you are looking for a non-sports job you are probably in better position than those of us who have many years of sports media specific stuff on our resumes. You can tailor your resume to highlight personal qualities (motivated self-starter, goal oriented, team player and other vague bullshit) and broad-based experience (good communication and organizational skills, etc.) that will translate well to a multitude of fields.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That doesn't narrow it down much.

6. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

I'm unemployed. I'm not being picky. I just want something that involves writing. PR/advertising/marketing/media relations/technical writing/copywriting/copy editing... something.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Are you finding many openings? I see some of those, but about one for every 30 nursing or IT jobs.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

A lot of those media relations jobs are nothing more than marketing jobs. Too many companies misuse the term public relations. Pay is not great for those jobs either and the hours stink if the organization does stuff in the community, so you could be manning a table at the county's Daffy Wacky Day.

Right now, I would either go back to school for a different degree or try to find another newspaper job to tide you over until the economy turns around.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What about corporate communications? Lots of big companies need people to communicate internally or with customers, whatever. It's not necessarily marketing/advertising or PR.

Draft saved Draft deleted